Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Mould or mold, is hard to kill >

Mould or mold, is hard to kill

Mould or mold, is hard to kill

Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM

I have heard NO BLEACH also. thanks Cari. I like the idea of borax.

Joe, you can be related to me any day!

Karen
Old 08-17-2015, 03:19 PM

How does Oxy clean work on mold I really like it for whites. I think it is a peroxide base.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:53 PM

Call the Purdue Cooperative Extension and ask them: 4001 Crescent Avenue, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46815. (260) 481-6826. That's what they're there for.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 PM

Lysol Disinfectant Spray says right on the front of the can "Kills viruses, bacteria, mold, & mildew". I'd wipe the mold off with vinegar....let dry and then spray lightly with Lysol Spray. And the Lysol comes in some nice scents, too.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 PM

Bright sunlight helps too Joe. I have cleaned saddles that have mildewed in past years and leather can't stand bleach. I cleaned the saddles with a leather soap and water. When I was a Realtor, I took a course on mold and they recommended soap and water and of course bleach. It does come back. Sun will kill it graveyard dead though. We have had so much rain that it would be a lot of work o drag them in and out, but it will work. The FW man from Texas recommends putting a cake of Safeguard soap in FW cases for the mildew odor. I got the best deal ever on Ebay for my 301 because the silly woman didn't clean the mold off of it when she took the pictures. I recognized the mold and bought it for under $60, including postage. That won't ever happen again. A Lysol wipe might work too along with the sunshine. Salt is also a remedy, but I wouldn't put it on any of my machines, even the cases. Mold loves the glue more than the covering. Wish I was there to help you. It is more of a moisture problem from ll the humidity and hot weather and the darkness inside the unit. Get them home as soon as possible. Good luck.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 08-17-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:58 AM

Interesting article: mold and bleach

http://blacktoxicmolds.com/bleach-kill-mold.php
Old 08-18-2015, 05:39 AM

Default how, how to remove

[QUOTE=J Miller;7288635]Two months ago, or just before the move, we put most of our sewing machines in the storage locker in Springfield while we moved.
Yesterday we made the first run back there to retrieve some legal documents that were stupidly left there and as much as we could stuff in the Pathfinder.
We left the Ft Wayne house at about 6:15 am. Me driving. We passed Indy maybe two hours later or so and said "Hello Miriam - Goodbye Miriam" , as we drove through. We got to Springfield around 12:30 or so.
Gassed up, it took nearly a full tank to get there, the Pathfinder is not an economy vehicle and proceeded to the storage locker.

I had several machines I wanted to bring back, some of them for us and some possibly to be used by my SIL in her sewing class she's going to do next month. But two of the machine cases were covered in mold.
(See, I got to the point.)

Aldens Magic ZZ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527978[/ATTACH]

Emdeko
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527979[/ATTACH]

These cases were clean when we put them in the locker. But obviously the mold spoors were there.

I do not want to bring this mold into the new house. So, I'd like to get a consensus on how to kill that mold right there at the storage locker.
Whatever it would take I'll take with us to the locker and clean them there before bringing them here.

If I can't kill this mold for good, the cases will have to be trashed. And this is just two of dozens of machines I could not get to to inspect.

Ideas??????

We got back to Ft Wayne around 10:30 ish, showered and went to bed
Vinegar has worked great for me several times. Also, Home Depot has some products which work great. Mariah
Old 08-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

This is a great idea. Bleach helps to wipe away but it is true, it doesn't kill mold. Keeps it at bay for a short time. I don't know of anyone who has an available storage/horse type trailer. Check the climate control storage facilities.
Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Call the Purdue Cooperative Extension and ask them: 4001 Crescent Avenue, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46815. (260) 481-6826. That's what they're there for.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

You could also check out mold remediators in the area they may have some suggestions. Do the machines themselves have mold on them. If so those should be easily wiped off. You could leave the cases set outside to air after cleaning.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 AM

My deceased husband Len was a chemist and he said to use bleach to kill mold. Doesn't have to be straight bleach but some bleach in a bucket of water usually does the trick. He also said that most people use way too much bleach, it's very strong stuff.