Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandma's quilt >

Grandma's quilt

Grandma's quilt

Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 AM

I always recommend that the quilt be finished before trying to wash or remove stains. I am doing a Lemoine star right now that was made by a lady's grandmother...the quilt was very well loved & used. She took the backing and batting off (probably fell off, as some of the binding is still there). I told her I would remove the bottom row of blocks (those in better shape than the center), and use a block from that to replace the center block or two.

I have resewn all the open seams, and then I laid out the quilt...that center block has one fabric diamond that is only a sliver of fabric...but it's the only use of that fabric in the entire quilt...so I found a fabric (blender) close to the color of that diamond, flipped it wrong side out, and fused it to the back of that diamond area. My quilting will secure the edges of that sliver of fabric...I did the same for a solid color diamond next to this one. Not perfect...but...the entire quilt is in tact. I did use non woven, fusible lightweight interfacing on most of the quilt to stabilize it. My quilting will secure the rest. Once done...this lady can use Reto Clean, or her preferred product to clean the quilt (there are no stains). How much you put into saving a quilt is up to the customer. My customer said to save what I could...but in watching her run her hand over different squares, I could tell this quilt her grandma made her when she was a very young child (she is in her 60's now) was very important to her...so, I went above and beyond to save the quilt. Will I make money on this project...no way....will saving the quilt for a person who dearly loved her gramma be worth the time to repair? You betcha'!

Originally Posted by SSStitches View Post
I was given a box that contained a quilt that my grandmother and her 5 sisters put together when they were young. The box was kept on the floor of an old shed - the quilt is in sad shape. I do hand quilting and want to begin repairing and restoring this. Fabric is pretty worn, thin and very stained in places. I'm looking for ideas on removing the stains.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by SSStitches View Post
I was given a box that contained a quilt that my grandmother and her 5 sisters put together when they were young. The box was kept on the floor of an old shed - the quilt is in sad shape. I do hand quilting and want to begin repairing and restoring this. Fabric is pretty worn, thin and very stained in places. I'm looking for ideas on removing the stains.
I've read all the advice given you on removing the stains and whether or not to finish quilting before that step. Their experience is far beyond mine, but I wonder if it is possible to serge close to the outer edge with a wide stitch, then run diagonals or very wide rows of huge basting stitches to stabilize it before cleaning it. You might even consider wearing a dust mask while stitching these stabilizing rows. Ancient dust can harbor some nasty bugs, and I wouldn't want to sit with that in my lap while hand quilting. You have my sympathy and admiration for wanting to save something your family touched long ago.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:29 AM

Borateem works great to take out stains. MIL had a crochet tablecloth her MIL had made and it was a yucky dark yellow-brown from years of dry cleanings and tobacco smoke. We soaked it overnight in the bathtub with borateem and the next day rinsed it well and gave it a gentle hand wash. It was a lovely cream color.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:25 PM

I've used Restoration and it cleans very well--be sure you follow the directions to let it soak some. One thought you might do if the quilt is not restorable--cut out hearts or other shapes and make Christmas ornaments to give to those family members that are connected to the Grandmother and aunts.