Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing Issues >

Pressing Issues

Pressing Issues

Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM

You know I think my problem is ironing instead of pressing.

I had ironed my fabric before cutting, and I had put my precut fabric in ziploc baggies for the next day, needless to say they had fold lines, and a couple ended up a little more wrinkled than fold lines so I pressed them before I stitched them which is where most of the distortion happened.

This is good info, and sorry for the newbie question, but yes I am ironing instead of pressing. Thank you all!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:57 PM

I wonder, too, if your fabric is not folded correctly BEFORE cutting. If you are a pre-washer (as am I), then you need to make sure your fabric is folded on-grain vs just in half, selvage to selvage. Start with your fabric folded selvage to selvage. You will likely see a 'bubble' in the fabric at that point. I lay mine flat on my pressing surface and then smooth from the fold line toward the selvage and outside edges. You'll likely lose some fabric when making that initial straightening cut but your fabric will behave better throughout your project if you go through this process. Just a suggestion.