Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting? >

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Old 08-29-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
I have an hardwood floor area in my living room that is big enough for a full-size quilt, so I use painter's tape to tape the backing to the floor. Then I spread my batting, fold back half and drizzle glue on the backing. Re-spread the backing and do the other half. Repeat with the quilt top. Dry overnight. No overspray. Never gums up my machine and never slips. No puckers, ever. Washes out completely. Best idea for basting that I have come upon. Certainly easier in my opinion than pinning, stitching or spraying.
I tried doing it on the floor-big big mistake. My old joints and knees can't take it. I was so sore for days after so from now on I'll do it on my table in sections. I was disappointed because when we designed my sewing room, we made the cutting table on wheels so that I could move it and use the floor for bigger quilts.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:49 PM

I love glue basting....now is a great time to stock up at back to school time it is usually on sale somewhere.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:24 PM

I just tried this on a long sandwich of fabric that will eventually be cut into 6 placemats (it is easier for me to quilt the entire thing than the 6 separate pieces). I tried to thin down the glue, but I couldn't get the water and the glue to mix. I then used just the plain glue, squeezing a small dribble in lines about 2" apart. Wow, was that easy! I did iron it since I was impatient to start the quilting. So far I am about a third finished, and it is working great. No shifting, no lumps, and not too stiff (though it is slightly stiffer than when I use pins or sprays).

I have used glue before to attach my bindings, but I really like this for sandwiching. Faster than pinning and less expensive than spraying. I am looking for advice about how to get the glue thinned with water though ...

Pam
Old 08-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Pam, do you still have the glue bottle? What exactly does it say? The Elmer's used for basting is water-soluble but it sounds as if you may have used one of their glues that is white but not the right kind.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
Has anyone found that this gums up their machine at all? Someone wrote in a little while ago that her serviceman said it was not good for machines.
I had to get my machine serviced...it knocked the timing out of whack. I watered the glue, but maybe not enough. So I'm just off that for now. Maybe I'll try again, but at the price of the servicing, it's not worth it to me.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:04 AM

My method has already been mentioned here, but I wanted to add:
One time I watered down the glue TOO much and had to take an hour when I was finished to clean my irom. I even had to get one of those, 2 actually, 'Magic Erasers' to help. I'm glad it was not a teflon coated bottom.

I had used glue in the past and did not have that problem

Also, I glue the quilt in sections, usually doing half at a time. I cut the batting in half, glue, use knit interfacing strips to join the batting, glue, and then quilt the rest.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 AM

Go to YouTube and search for "glue basting a quilt". There is a 2 or 3 part video tutorial by Slightly Off Quilter - she waters down the glue and uses an atomizer to spray it on the batting. I've used this method for years and have never had a problem with gumming of the needle. It's cheaper than basting sprays and no chemicals for you to breathe! I'm sold on this. I usually put a couple pins scattered around the sandwich till I get my stabilizing stitching done. Then it's on to free motion and no pins in the way! Try it!
Old 08-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
Using liquid glue seems to be a lot of work.....
A lot less work and faster than pinning or thread basting and no over spray and stink like commerical spray basting.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have tried this, but squeezing the bottle really hurts my hands. Its fine at first, but not too far in the process I have to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do what do you do?
I had the same problem when I used the actual bottle it comes in, but when I ordered a gallon of Elmer's school glue on Amazon, I looked for an easier way to dispense it. In looking around, I found a picnic type condiment bottle with a cap, made for mayo (white opaque) and pour the glue in, add water as desired, and way easier on my hands. (I also use warm water to make it flow better.) I made lines on it so I can quick refill it without getting out measuring cups.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM

I found a utube how to prepare the glue for a spray bottle. I dilute it until it works well in the spray bottle. It's great. I clean out the spray bottle and store the leftovers in an old water bottle.