Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you read the instructions before starting to use anew machine? >

do you read the instructions before starting to use anew machine?

do you read the instructions before starting to use anew machine?

Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 AM

I read it over and over and keep it nearby in my sight to be able to refresh my memory. These new machines are so much more techy than the old ones. I even keep the older one's manuals nearby those machines.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:50 AM

I read everything as they are differences in most machines.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I always read the manual. Sometimes not even with the machine in front of me. And I keep the manuals to everything. Now that we are moving, I am cleaning out and I have manuals to things we don't even own anymore!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:26 AM

With my first machines, I don't think I bothered. But as machines became more expensive to buy/repair, I read the manual, keep it handy for quick reference and try very hard to follow the general guidelines for care and maintenance.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I read the manual as I sit in front of the machine. Just got done looking at a video with manual in front of my 401. Made copy of a chart of my 401 for trouble shooting, printed larger for my eyes. I have a binder for the 401. Amazing how the videos coincide with the charts. When we put old appliances out to the curb, we throw in the manuals. Many are more resourceful at jigging than we are. And why not, manual isn't going to do us any good.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

very rarely do I read the instructions. I forget what I red. if I get tangled up, then i'll read them. I look t the pictures though.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:16 PM

Depends - with the older mechanical ones, most of the time I don't even get a manual with the machine!

And they are easy enough to use without any special instructions.

However, with my newer Pfaff - it's all electronic and I could not figure out how to set ANYTHING without getting out the manual and figuring out how to navigate the touch screen to even get to what I needed. I really don't like having everything controlled by a computer.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I read the manual, I try out every step in the book and I keep it handy for when something comes up, or to refresh my memory if I'm going to do something I haven't done in a while ,( like button holes)
Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM

I skim first, then read as I go.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:57 PM

Depends on the machine. I started with a Pfaff 1471. I read the manual backwards and forwards, and tried just about any stitch or program recommended in the manual. I traded for a Pfaff 1475. Read the manual eventually for new things, but a lot was quite similar. Same for the 2144. I did get the newer manual for the 2170 as the 2140 and 2144 had hard upgrades to make them identical to the 2170. I haven't been interested in newer machine.

I played with a lot of mechanical machines, so the Brother 1500 and the Juki 2100 weren't that difficult. I posted the maintenance schedules on the wall where I could see them.