Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on squaring >

Question on squaring

Question on squaring

Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 AM

I'm a novice myself and can't offer advice on the waviness issue. But I wanted to tell you I think your quilt is super!! You did a great job lining up the blocks, you should see some of my first quilts.....
Old 09-04-2015, 05:50 AM

One other little hint that might help with your borders--once you have determined how long your borders should be, divide into quarters and mark. Then divide the side of the quilt that you are attaching it to, into quarters and mark as well. Match up the marks and sew. Any extra bagginess will have been evened out.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the picture. For a newer quilter, you've done a fantastic job. It doesn't look like the wavy blocks are that bad. I often lay my quilt tops on my bed and smooth out with my hands. If that doesn't eliminate the wavy, it's probably there to stay. But, it's a learning experience. You'll look back on this one and say, 'Wow, I've learned so much now'.

On one of the first quilts I made, I had problems with the rows matching up, too. I was so frustrated. But, I eased things in and did the best I could. When I quilted it, I was able to work some of that out. But, I hadn't squared my blocks before I put them together..... lesson learned. I ALWAYS square up my blocks now. What a difference. I always pressed.... I was a garment sewer.... always pressed... it's the LAW.

And, I'd do as some others have said..... measure the borders, mark at the 1/4's and pin your seams. Good luck. Can't wait to see it all done.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
One other little hint that might help with your borders--
Thanks to all who have offered their advice and kind words! I'll be sure to post a pic when the quilt is finished. I do enjoy the sewing and try not to get too frustrated by it because I'm doing it to relax!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 AM

Another possible cause for the problem is variance in size or shape in the layer cake pieces.

Your quilt top looks fine in the picture. If I were you, I would proceed. This is your first quilt, and it looks good. The next one will look even better!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

That's not too bad. I would expect layering and quilting will take care of the waviness plus, since you did not prewash the fabric, when you wash (after quilting and binding), that will also take care of much of the problem.

For pressing seams, I find this tool very helpful:
http://www.thestripstick.com/

Regarding keeping your seams even, what works best for me is a physical barrier for me to keep the edges butted up against as I sew. I use my ruler and rotary cutter to cut strips of moleskin. Moleskin is widely available in the foot section of any pharmacy; I buy the thickest version I can find. It has an adhesive backing. To place it on the bed of my machine, I get out my favorite ruler, place it under the machine foot, lower the needle to just a smidge right of the 1/4" line on my ruler, lower the foot to hold the ruler in place, check to make sure the ruler is running straight from front to back and adjust as necessary, remove the paper backing from the moleskin and place it on the bed of the machine, butting it up against the edge of my ruler. With this physical guide I am able to sew quite fast and simply concentrate on keeping the edges together and butted up against the moleskin. Do NOT use this method on a vintage machine such as an old Singer featherweight, as the adhesive can damage the finish. It's fine on newer machines.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:52 AM

I think you mentioned in your photo post that you were having a debate with yourself about pressing seams to the side or open. Haven't read all the responses to that post but I'm sure you'll get varying opinions. Myself, I'm an open presser. Guess it comes from my garment-making background. I feel I can match seams much better with them pressed open. I was never overly successful at the 'nesting' of seams pressed to the side.

To match up your seams (regardless of how you press) try putting a pin straight down through the thread/seam of your top block. Have your bottom block (right sides together) lined up but away from the top block. Take that pin and stick it through the thread/seam of the bottom block at the same distance from the edge. Make sure the pin is as perfectly perpendicular to the block as you can get it. Then take another pin and pin the 2 blocks together on either/both sides of the perpendicular pin. Remove that one. That will help keep your blocks lined up while sewing as well.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:01 PM

I'm glad someone else asked this question. I learned the hard way by not squaring up the blocks as I made them. What a difference it makes. My blocks were so many different sizes that I had to take the rows apart and resew and sometimes remake the blocks. I think your quilt top looks nice. Debbie
Old 09-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by fxtrtr View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Here is a pic of the top:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529697[/ATTACH]
As you can see from the photo, some of the blocks are wavy. Do you think some of this will be less noticeable when it is quilted?

I did not wash this at all - it was a layer cake from Moda and I just joined the blocks. I didn't use sizing on them and I did try to be careful not to misshape them. I DID pull on the shorter of the two blocks when joining to make seams match and I did try to put the longer blocks on the bottom to take up some of that difference.

I wasn't really sure what I was doing with the "easing" and I do intend to Google that today and read up on it.

I think for my next layer cake project, I will check the blocks to be sure they are all the same size, since I know these were not. I will use sizing on them and press each one before starting my project. Then I will use the 1/4" foot that came with my machine and test to be sure it is 1/4". I am also getting a guide since I am notorious for getting "off the beaten path" when it comes to my stitching. I do stitch slowly since I know I have trouble with that.

I am debating on the pressing seams open or to the side. I have trouble pressing seams, I don't know why. I try to do it like I've seen on videos but my material looks like I've created a small lip by the seam and hence, I've just shorted my block. I did send for one of those strip sticks, hoping it will help. Any tricks you have for seams, I'm all ears!
i think you did a fantastic job of lining everything up. You are learning and made some good points above. I think if you press it now, the blocks will be fine. And after the quilting, no one will ever know. I do prewash, if possible, starch and press everything before doing any cutting or stitching. I took a course last year at Lancaster AQS and it involved many small HST and the instructor said we should check ourselves for 1/4" accuracy every time we start sewing. It has improved my blocks. Also, I do press each part of the block before joining into a block and check the measurements. I do oversize the pieces, when appropriate, stitch the piece, and trim before joining into a block. Good luck. You can be proud!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:14 PM

it's going to be fine. in fact, it looks awesome! your points are great!

attach the borders sewing from the middle of the side to the ends. i would forego the temptation to mitre the corners of your borders. squaring them off is going to be easier.

quilt it and love it to bits as your first. no one will EVER take a ruler to it so it doesn't matter a fig's itch if it's not quite square

aileen