Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on squaring >

Question on squaring

Question on squaring

Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Power Poster

If the top is a little puffy just use two layers of batting. A flat one and a lofty one.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:33 AM

I am not a real experienced quilter. I just wonder if you sprayed the heck out of the top and pressed, would it shrink a little and lie flat enough to quilt. I think it would be something I would try. I made a baby quilt one time that was way worse then yours. Had to take it all apart!! Hated that!! I learn something new with every quilt I make. Good luck with your project.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 AM

I love the way you laid the squares out. The colors have a great "flow" to them.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:05 AM

I agree with all of this as well. I'd like to add that gentle handling is essential and steaming can take up a small gather. Without seeing your dilemma it's hard to tell how big a problem you have but many many problems are 'quilted out'...ask any long time quilter. Don't be discouraged. Keep plugging away and learning.
Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
One other thing that has not been mentioned so far. If you have a block that is a tad bigger, it is easiest to ease if you put the larger block on the bottom. The feed dogs on your sewing machine will be a great help in easing in the fullness of the larger block.

You could also try laying your top on some plastic or some towels and dampening it with a spray bottle and then letting it dry before pressing again. That will sometimes allow fabrics which have become distorted from 'ironing' instead of 'pressing' to return closer to their original size.

I am not a great believer in starching or sizing. I want my fabrics to be as natural as possible. If they have a 'tendency' to stretch or shrink or whatever, I want to know about it before I cut my pieces, not after the quilt top is assembled. If you handle the fabric gently, it should not need any starch to keep its shape.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:07 AM

I think the waviness will quilt out. That is too pretty to disassemble and do over; it might get stretched more. I think you have done a super job, and I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
i think you did a fantastic job of lining everything up. You are learning and made some good points above. I think if you press it now, the blocks will be fine. And after the quilting, no one will ever know. I do prewash, if possible, starch and press everything before doing any cutting or stitching. I took a course last year at Lancaster AQS and it involved many small HST and the instructor said we should check ourselves for 1/4" accuracy every time we start sewing. It has improved my blocks. Also, I do press each part of the block before joining into a block and check the measurements. I do oversize the pieces, when appropriate, stitch the piece, and trim before joining into a block. Good luck. You can be proud!
I agree, you did a great job!! Keep going, when you are done and the quilt is washed and laying over the back of the sofa, it will be lovely!!
Old 09-05-2015, 06:57 AM

Top looks great.. I love all things made with Browns!! You have a wavy block but your seems are perfectly matched! Yes, it will all work out. By the time you add batting and backing, quilt it, add binding, it will be perfect... Great job....
Old 09-05-2015, 07:00 AM

I think it looks very good for novice. I think you were probably stretching to make them fit (and sometimes going too slow can be troublesome). When you sandwich it, I think your waves will be a lot less noticeable. The BIGGEST, BIGGEST problem quilters have is that they can be incredibly hard on themselves. Yes, we see the mistakes in our work and we can probably do a bit better with the next quilt - BUT YOU MADE A QUILT! Take some time and enjoy that.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:34 AM

Awesome job! I see a little waviness, but really not bad at all. As others have said, once it's quilted and washed it will be fine! You're off to a great start in your quilting adventure!
Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM

I have to agree with bearisgray. If the size of the layercake pieces are not accurate, your quilt can get wonky. When you get ready to add your borders, be sure to do the measurements from the center and both ends and those little waves should quilt out nicely. Above all else, try not to be so hard on yourself and keep going. It will all work out in the end and your quilt will be a treasure