Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bacon binding? >

Bacon binding?

Bacon binding?

Old 09-05-2015, 05:40 AM

Stretch the binding.
Many people are saying to not stretch the binding when you are putting it on. But that is exactly what you need to do. It's the quilt top that is wavy. If you put your borders on correctly, there should not be too many waves.

When I put on binding, I lay the quilt under the needle, attach the binding with a few stitches, and give the binding a little tug. Just a little tug to make sure is is laying flat. The quilt sandwich may look a little wavy at this point. I hold this in place with my finger as it goes through the needle. Lengthwise binding can be pulled much tighter, since it doesn't stretch as much. I don't do bias binding. You will not want to stretch that at all, only make very sure the edges of the quilt are not wavy before you start.

I once took a binding off a finished quilt. (My daughter changed her mind and wanted it bigger.) Then we changed our mind again and had to put that binding back on the quilt. I really stretched that binding and had a few inches left over when I was finished. The quilt looks fine, and surely has no waves on the outside.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:02 AM

I, too, block my quilts and find that the quilt then lies flat; no wavy edges.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:30 AM

Lots of good reponses here, I am glad you posted this question. Don't have any suggestions for you, but glad to see the replies
Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Measure your quilt at each end & in the middle; take the average of those 3 numbers and cut your binding to that length.

As far as hanging on the wall, the bottom will always be a tiny bit wavy. The only solutions I've seen for that are to sew in a weighted bar or to use a narrow sleeve & bottom mount (Caryl Bryer Fallert does that with her wall quilts to keep them from "waffling"). http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/storage.htm#bottom
Isn't that what you do to measure for the borders? I don't think you can cut the binding until you get it sewn on and the end pieces measured for seaming
Old 09-05-2015, 10:00 AM

Excellent advice....it makes perfect sense to me. I will do this next time.

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Stretch the binding.
Many people are saying to not stretch the binding when you are putting it on. But that is exactly what you need to do. It's the quilt top that is wavy. If you put your borders on correctly, there should not be too many waves.

When I put on binding, I lay the quilt under the needle, attach the binding with a few stitches, and give the binding a little tug. Just a little tug to make sure is is laying flat. The quilt sandwich may look a little wavy at this point. I hold this in place with my finger as it goes through the needle. Lengthwise binding can be pulled much tighter, since it doesn't stretch as much. I don't do bias binding. You will not want to stretch that at all, only make very sure the edges of the quilt are not wavy before you start.

I once took a binding off a finished quilt. (My daughter changed her mind and wanted it bigger.) Then we changed our mind again and had to put that binding back on the quilt. I really stretched that binding and had a few inches left over when I was finished. The quilt looks fine, and surely has no waves on the outside.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Sometimes my finished quilts have wavy binding. It is especially noticeable when hung on the wall. What causes that? What can I do to make quilt binding taut?
Use a walking foot to sew binding on. Be careful not to stretch your binding.

I have a Pfaff machine with the IDT, built in full time walking foot. Since I bought the Pfaff , no more wavy binding.
Sharon in Texas
Old 09-05-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Are you using bias binding??
I think this could solve your bacon binding issue - I know because I have had the same problem and I'm going to give bias binding a try again...I did them that way at first and then got lazy!!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:53 PM

I don't have anything to add except the title of your thread....Bacon Binding....made me laugh!
Old 09-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Do you trim leaving any batting or do you trim to the edge before adding the binding?
Thanks so much for the information.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:15 PM

It is always interesting to learn how others do, sometimes we can pick up something that helps.