Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What response are you really looking for? >

What response are you really looking for?

What response are you really looking for?

Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 AM

I think some of the responsibility is with the person asking the question. If we just want a pat on the back, we can probably indicate that in the way we phrase our comment. I've seen lots of posts (not necessarily here) where a person posts a photo and says something like, 'Phew. I finally finished this. It isn't perfect, but I love it.' In that sort of instance, I think it's clear that the person isn't seeking critical comments, but just wants some positive feedback.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

This is an example of someone specifically asking for tips - - -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t269608.html

(By the way - I did ask stillclock if I could reference her thread)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I posted a problem a while back and in my heart, I KNEW that I should take it apart and redo it. Did I WANT to do that? NO! Was I going to do that? (most likely) Did I want my quilting friends to give me a pass? ONLY IF IT WAS OK TO DO SO. Fortunately for me people were honest and told me what I needed to hear: Suck it up, buttercup and fix it! Granted, they were nice about it. However, I also got some of the Oh it is barely noticeable - just leave it, replies.

So in the end, it was up to me to take personal responsibility for the project. I took it apart and fixed it.

When I read a question like that, I pay attention to the tone of the message. If the person wants a pass, I simply do not reply. If the poster wants advice and I can give constructive feedback, I will.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Does any one have the formula for making setting triangles???? I have 10 inch squares and I want to set them on point but need the formula for the setting triangles. Please let me know where I can find this formula. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twilight View Post
Does any one have the formula for making setting triangles???? I have 10 inch squares and I want to set them on point but need the formula for the setting triangles. Please let me know where I can find this formula. Thanks in advance.

Here is one site that give some clues:

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...triangles.html

If you search for: formula for setting triangles for quilts

quite a few things come up
Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 PM

I'm looking for tips, techniques, or suggestions. Even constructive criticism. If you think I made a poor choice of color, let me know...nicely if possible.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
It's a fine line between encouraging and newbie and just enabling them to do lousy work. I don't often know how to t walk that line successfully so will often not say anything at all.
this exactly! Some people also do the passive aggressive thing with self deprecating remarks when they are fishing for compliments. It is a very hard line to walk.

Myself, I want to hear the good bad and ugly. But I also want it to be constructive not just opinion. We all have our own opinions of what we like and don't like in quilting. From fabric colors to quilting density. So it is really hard to try and put that filter on as well both on the receiving end and the giving end of comments. This has been an interesting topic. Thanks for starting it Bear.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 PM

I think most often even when there is a desire to be told "oh it's ok" we really do want to know how to improve and therefore suggestions for making improvement next time (if not this time) will most likely be greatly appreciated.

When asked for an opinion, I will give one. And sometimes I will explain why, other times I don't really know why I like A better than B or C. It just fits MY sense of the fitness of things.

If someone wants to know why "this doesn't look right" I will most likely find a way to give options that could make it better. I prefer giving choices if possible particularly if it's a color/fabric issue.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
. . . Some people also do the passive aggressive thing with self deprecating remarks when they are fishing for compliments. . . .

I can usually recognize those.

If it appears to me that the person has asked something like - "does it matter - does it show - should it be changed?"

I will (sometimes) express an opinion with an option/suggestion.

The final decision is with the maker of the quit - but if the question is asked - I do not understand why others should object if suggestions are made in a kindly manner.

Sometimes "good enough" or "finished" is the right choice.

I know that something that I consider a noticeable/fixable error (on my work) is as bothersome to me as wearing my shoes on the wrong feet and my underwear on backwards.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:29 AM

How timely. I'm getting ready to post a picture today asking for advice on fabric choices ... and I want honest answers. I joined this Board to learn ... and with learning comes constructive criticism. I also want encouragement to keep trying. Can you imagine what the world would be missing out on (in all aspects of life) if we didn't encourage each other? With respect to quilting, we might not have such wonderful pattern designers to inspire us.