Little Gracie II

Old 09-06-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Little Gracie II

I found a great deal (I hope) on a quilting frame! I know, it's not a machine and I doubt it qualifies as vintage, but I will be using it with a vintage machine!

I'll have to put it together and post pics later. It's needing a couple replacement parts, plastic rails and tubing and a couple pieces for the part that pushes down the foot controller. It's a pretty simple design though so I am thinking I could make the missing parts and have it working.

It's a queen size with leg extensions and the carriage upgrade and all for 100.00 and a very LONG drive! I was planning to go Monday with hubby and the truck but had my eye on vintage machine I would be passing by on the way. I ended up taking my Honda, and had to really Tetris the thing to get it in my car lol! The gal with the sewing machine led me on as if we had a done deal and then totally changed her story at the last minute so I didn't come home with a machine but Craigslist people do that sometimes.

Still, I'm happy about the quilt frame. I can't wait to get it together enough to try some machines on it! Singer 15? Singer 201? Maybe a Pfaff?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 AM

I saw that frame and you got a nice deal. I would think a 15 would be a good option. You don't want a drop in bobbin for sure as you will really be unhappy when you have to deal with the quilt on top of the bed every bobbin change. I wonder if a larger throat industrial would work or if it would just be too heavy for the wheels? I had a 301 on a frame for about two seconds and it was just too tiny.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the input Candace! I am all new to this so I didn't even stop to think about the drop in bobbin anad how that would present a problem. I would generally choose an upright bobbin for free-motion anyway.

I don't have an industrial. I think I read your can't use a long arm machine on it, only a short or midarm. The midarms are 9' throat aren't they? I think the Pfaffs are 8". I measured at one time and think the 201 was 8 and the 15 was 7.5 so I will check.

It's nice to hear you saw that ad and think it was a good deal. I had to drive over 2 hours to get there! I really wanted it though.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:50 AM

I would not put a Singer 15 on a frame. It's not the height, it's the length that is going to be your problem.

BTW - "mid arm" is usually 18" or less.

The Singer 15 is rather short needle to pillar, so when you get the quilt loaded, you are going to find that you have very little room to move forward and backwards. An extra inch or two is a HUGE difference, way more than people think it will be.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 AM

I agree that short arms like the 15 are very limiting, but I'm not sure this type of frame would support a heavier, larger head. That would be a good question for the manufacturer. I've wondered if my 31-20 with a 10 1/2" throat space would or could be put on a frame (if I could put a motor on the back of it). I would worry about the weight though. I know that even that throat space is limiting, but with no hope of a long arm in my immediate future, it may be something to ponder.

Last edited by Candace; 09-06-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I would not put a Singer 15 on a frame. It's not the height, it's the length that is going to be your problem.

BTW - "mid arm" is usually 18" or less.

The Singer 15 is rather short needle to pillar, so when you get the quilt loaded, you are going to find that you have very little room to move forward and backwards. An extra inch or two is a HUGE difference, way more than people think it will be.
I didn't know that. I think the best I can do is only 8 inches for now. I'll need to keep my eyes open for a suitable machine with a deeper throat space.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:53 PM

did some measuring and the Standard Slim rotary has about the most room. Main problem would be the foot - don't know if you could replace the presser bar with one that would take a side mount foot or not.

I'd suggest watching for a used 13" Bailey.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

My sister uses a Kenmore 8, 10 or 12 with the bobbin in the front on hers. She says it is light weight and you can access the bobbin pretty easy.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
My sister uses a Kenmore 8, 10 or 12 with the bobbin in the front on hers. She says it is light weight and you can access the bobbin pretty easy.
Is the 8 10 12 the throat space Miriam?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 PM

Oooh Cathy, I just looked at the Bailey. *sigh. I want.