Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Front loaders - pedestal or not? >

Front loaders - pedestal or not?

Front loaders - pedestal or not?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:22 AM

I recently replaced our 'dinosaurs' with a front loader set by Amana. I'm 63, in good health. The bending is no issue for me. The savings on water usage far exceeds any physical limitation issues. Front load washers only use about 9 gallons as opposed to 50 plus gallons to wash, rinse and rinse again with the top loaders!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
Their horrible to get clothes out of at the lower level! I went with a new top loader with no agitator in the middle & I love it!! NO bending!! It also has water level sensors & only uses what is needed! Front loaders are way over rated IMHO :-)
I agree with this. I have had mine for several years and after the first year the company (name brand) refused to pay for the repair persons visit. My husband finally got it working decent after not being able to keep it balanced. but it likes full loads which is a problem for just two of us. My daughter has the top loading like yours and I so wish I would have gotten that one but after well over a thousand dollars can't replace. JMYO.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 AM

We purchased the Samsung W&D with pedestals when we bought our house. I just "had" to have the fancy ones with all the bells and whistles. I wish I had the old fashioned top-load type where I could control water level, etc. In order to wash a load that would have taken 20 -30 min. with the old type takes 102 minutes with the new type, and there is no way to control the water level. IMHO, clothes actually don't get as clean as they do with the old type W&D. The new type is part of the energy-saver that I think is a government requirement now.

My GF found two sets of the old fashioned top-load W&D on CL and bought them. She said as long as she can get parts for them, she will continue using them. If I could sell my set at a decent price, I would do the same thing...
Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 AM

I only have a front loading washer. i did not get the pedestal and have no regrets for not doing so.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:27 AM

I love my front loaders and the pedestals I can put all my laundry soap softers and such in the drawers
Old 09-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Pedestals - yes.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:31 AM

I don't have pedestals on mine and don't mind the bending. I love to fold the clothes on top of the machines and spread out my "piles" as I'm folding - put the folded on the washer and the unfolded on the dryer. If I had the pedestals, they'd be too high for me to fold on. I guess it would depend on your laundry space/room.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM

Mine are on pedestals, and I like them. But, one other warning. If your washer is not completely level the bleach
dispenser DOES NOT completely empty, leaving bleach to dispense into the next load. I ruined a load of brand new
towels. I do not use the bleach dispenser any more due to the problem. We even had the service repair out to
evaluate the problem. (Used the warranty) He could not get them any more level than we had them. Mine are
Frigidaire Affinity (both) Plus to clean the washer, I use vinegar to the max line in the soap dispenser and a 1/4 cup of borax in the drum. Set to rinse and spin. Start, just let it run the cycle. Nice and clean. (and no bleach left over to ruin
things)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 AM

We inherited the front loaders in our home we bought 4 years ago. IMHO they are no only over rated and overpriced, they under perform. The washer is eco-friendly. That means there is no hot water; just warm. It does have a "hot" water selector but it's a placebo. It does not spew forth steaming hot water like we have in all our faucets throughout the house. Ask you salesperson about this. The washer takes longer to fill because it is a "water-saver" and it doesn't get the clothes as clean as our "old" top loaders. The dryer stinks. No other way to say it. We have a 5x3 rug in the bathroom with rubber backing. The dryer simply does not dry it. No matter how long it's in there. We have to ask our neighbor to dry the rug for us. Guess what style dryer she has? My sister fell for the front-load marketing a few years back. She did nothing but complain about them for the reasons I mention. After 2 years she gave them away. She replaced them with a lovely set of top-loaders, a few years old, and is happy she did so. Need I say more? Just don't fall for the advertising and appearance. These are appliances, not home decor.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 AM

I have a top loader, but my DB (bachelor)has a front loader and when I am there, I hate it before I get the laundry done. I am a short person, but leaning over like that is a real PITB. I would suggest you get the pedastals.