Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What "makes" a retreat? >

What "makes" a retreat?

What "makes" a retreat?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 PM

My quilting buddies and I love retreats! We have rented a house with several bedrooms/bathrooms and a large open area to sew. We found that having quilt shops nearby was a nice treat when traveling to and from the house, or if we just wanted to take a break. You can never have too much fabric, right?!! We did our own meals, taking turns cooking at the house. The huge porch was a nice option for when you need to step away from your machine. Just being together was fun.
We also have an arranged retreat at a "rustic" youth camp every year, where our entire guild is able to participate. It's close enough to "home" that some folks just come for the day, while others stay the night. The key is that all our sewing equipment is set up and safe for the whole weekend. The meals are provided, and very simple. We have small projects (like the jelly roll race) and invite in a quilt shop one of the days. It is a great time!
I think the items folks care most about are cost; convenience; lack of distractions; and enough room to sew. If the facility offers tools, tables. and good chairs it's a bonus.
Good luck with your new venture... and post the details so we can all plan a trip!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:18 PM

Oh, one more thing! I was thinking about making sure it isn't drafty in the winter (fireplace, windows, doors, walls, attic) which led me to remember this one retreat I went on (not for quilting, but they I seem to recall they had quilting groups come through at other times of the year) that had plenty of beautiful quilts for inspiration ... hanging on the wall, over the beds, etc. They even had these paintings of traditional quilts on their dishes. I always love being surprised by some kind of inspiration. You could even just hang photos of quilts. Maybe have a contest and winners have their quilts hung in the house for a year and get a small discount ($25-50) on their stay; that way you could have different quilts hanging each time people come & it could be a sort of attraction in its own right.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:47 AM

That's a great idea and maybe the quilt shops both of which are about 45-60 minutes away would send their demo quilts to be hung for "advertising". So much great info and help here. I hope I get to put it to use!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:33 AM

Not sure what liquor regulations you would have - the church camp retreat doesn't allow liquor on the premises - the hot springs retreat they request you have your happy hour in your room but some do bring it to their machines in a coffee cup. Not me though as I prefer my wine in a stemmed glass and we use that 1/2 hour to relax in our room before dinner.

My friend has a stair climber and it's width takes up about 1/3 of the stairwell. It would be difficult to use that stairwell for bringing in suitcases etc. Hers also has a weight restriction on it, I think it's 250 lbs but that might be a concern if you had a guest that it couldn't accommodate? Hers was quite pricey to have installed and her stairwell has a landing part way up so you have to get off and walk the last three steps. She does "send up" her bottled water on hers
Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 AM

I have only been to two retreats and both were up in the mountains in a event center. We all loved being away from the hustle and bustle of life and enjoying the wildlife and fauna around. Most of the time we were sewing on what we brought but we had 30-45 minute mini workshops to teach us a new pattern, ruler, or whatever the teacher wanted. I know I really enjoyed the two I have been to!!! I love the venue first!!! My personal choice.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:09 PM

I have been on several retreats. My daughter comes from CA to join me. Our favorite is in Polsbo WA. It is held in an old house that has been re-modled to suit quilters. The work area is well lighted with comfortable chairs and adequate individual work area. It is a short driving distance from the town of Polsbo WA. with a quilt shop and several restaurants. I am disabled and my friend and I use a bedroom off the work area. Where there is a bathroom.
We cook our own meals and there is a well-stocked kitchen. My suggestion for a retreat facility.
Well lighted work area and comfortable chairs.
Handicapped friendly with a room and bathroom on the same floor as the sewing area.
I like a kitchen that is adequately stocked with pots and pans. I have been on a retreat that was catered. The food was great, but of course it is more expensive.. Cheaper and more flexible to prepare our own meals for the group. That is what my daughter and I like best.
Polsbo had it all. They could not have more than 10 to 12 quilters. and we liked the smaller group. If anyone is interested I would talk more about quilt retreat facilities
Old 09-13-2015, 06:10 AM

I go to a retreat twice a year at a Baptist Church camp in central NYS. We sew in the lodge, two people to a table usually but the tables are big enough to accommodate them. There are also raised cutting tables and several double tables to lay out a large quilt to sandwich it. That's pretty popular though so have to wait in line sometimes. We sleep in cabins which have one bathroom shared by two rooms and there are about 4-6 people in a room with a doorway to the next room. It sounds like a lot of people for one bathroom but it works fine. There is also a shower there. The one thing that is not so pleasant is if you get someone who snores real loud. Most people don't have a problem with that but I can't get to sleep when someone is snoring (unless it's myself). The first day we bring our own lunch but the camp has a cook who does the meals for us and they are "ok" but not great. The cost for Thurs-Sat has been 120.00 which is pretty reasonable and it is about an hour from where I live. There is usually a couple of demos that take place and also door prizes etc. I have not heard what the price is going to be this fall as they are adding on Wed. if you would like. The setting is beautiful, right across the road is a lovely lake and in the fall the leaves turning color make it gorgeous. Fridays they arrange for a shopping trip to various quilt shops, many are Amish or Mennonite, for those who want to go. I would not care for a regimented schedule so this is perfect for me,very relaxing. We always look forward to seeing our friends again that we have made from other towns or cities. Almost forgot they also have a silent auction. Everyone brings things they are done with, sewing related or not and the money raised is used for some upgrade to the lodge.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I go to a retreat at Pismo Beach twice a year and the conference room (work room) overlooks the ocean. It is a very relaxing place. For me, the location is important but equally important is that everything is organized. We pool our resources for food. There is opportunity to play games as a group, go fabric shopping, and visit with friends I only see on these occasions. In our group, everyone gets along which is a huge plus. We have no negative nellies or cantankerous callies. Everyone works on their own projects but sometimes a participant may do a tutorial on a technique for those who are interested. Retreat is my moment of peace in an otherwise stressful world.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:42 PM

I've been on several retreats, at four different places.

Things I like to find: comfortable chairs, plenty of workspace - 2 tables in an "L" per person is fantastic if you have the space, lots of outlets - power strips on top of the tables so that people don't have to crawl on the floor to plug things in, plenty of design walls, big cutting surface at correct height, cutting mats (if you provide any) in decent shape (no huge grooves, etc), large ironing boards, fast and reliable wi-fi (surprising how difficult it is to get this one right!), high-capacity ice maker, fridge and microwave available to campers, sitting area or lounge separate from sewing room for getting away from the machine - bonus for tv and either chick-flick DVDs or Amazon Prime stick or Apple tv or similar, comfortable beds far enough from sewing room that late night or early morning sewers won't disturb sleepers.

I'm sure that I've forgotten things, but that covers most of it. I don't require much entertainment - I'm there to put the pedal to the metal and sew!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 PM

The retreats I have been on have been based in hotels with each person having a single room . The magic of the weekend was the two well known quilters. They gave a show and tell about themselves and ran workshops as well. I don't think personally I would find much satisfaction in going on a retreat and taking my own projects. I want to learn other techniques and styles. I can sew by myself at home.