Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This may sound cheap...however >
  • This may sound cheap...however

• This may sound cheap...however

Old 09-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Basketman-1st your avatar is stunning!! If you really like Derek L's "Mirage" what about treating it as a very large medallion-as a large Lone Star would be with complimentary borders to complete it to the size you desire? You are obviously an accomplished quilter, I'm sure something creative will come to you to incorporate into the borders as you are working on the Bargello design.
    Old 09-10-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Basketman
    You picked the right designer and you are correct about this likely a one time deal. However, the one design I like (Mirage) is only 45X45 and never having made a bargello before I am not sure expanding this into a full or larger is something intuitive once you get going...or is his design skill set such that you likely need the pattern to fit the bed? I thought a book might give me more information on how to "math it out" for a larger quilt and if I cannot create it without the pattern...logically I would go that route as well.

Aside: Tim....I get the color thing...my avatar I hopefully shows I am not shy with colors. John
    You might look at some of his other patterns....I have included a link. These patters say what sizes are in them. I just did Illusions, and it came in two sizes. Perhaps one of these might be close to what you want. I have enlarged a few Bargello patterns, and it wasn't any fun. You might be better at it than I was.

http://www.lockwoodquilts.com/store/...lo_quilts.html

However, I have to agree with ManiacQuilter2.....Eileen Wright's books are excellent, good quilts and good instructions, plus each book has about ten quilts in it. I got my books from Amazon.

Let me see if I can find a a picture my Illusion quilt.

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S8002460.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	958.2 KB
ID:	530359  
    Old 09-10-2015, 02:33 PM
    Power Poster

If you're interested in understanding Bargello patterns and constructing your own Bargello designs, Bargello Tapestry Quilts by Marilyn Doheny is the book to buy. It's not a pattern book, but it explains all the ins and outs of creating a Bargello design. Another book that has information on how to design your own, as well as some patterns, is Bargello Quilts by Marge Edie.
    Old 09-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Stunning bargello...Dina
    Old 09-10-2015, 04:34 PM

Basketman - Holy cow, your avatar is stunning!

I noticed you are also in the FL. We have some very active guilds here, I can provide some insight on+ a couple of them should you need, but would prefer to do so privately.

We also have a few members in the FL area, perhaps one of them might lend or sell you a pattern from the designer you are specifically interested in. I do not have any of his patterns, but do have Twist and Turn by Wright. If you are interested in borrowing it, I could lend it to you. It is also available to borrow through the Penn Yan library; our guild tries to donate a couple of books or magazine subscriptions each year.
    Old 09-10-2015, 05:27 PM

I recently posted a picture of his Disco that I just finished. Lots of fun!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530389[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	My-Disco.gif
Views:	458
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	530389  
    Old 09-11-2015, 12:56 AM

Dina and Kitsie, beautiful quilts! I also want to make one of his quilts, but just haven't found the time yet to get it started.
    Old 09-11-2015, 04:27 AM
    Power Poster

Interesting how some have a fear of posting a name that wants to be known. I don't understand that but I know any designer wants his/her name posted anywhere online in a positive way. I worked in marketing and one email, one mention on line, one phone call, is the equivalent of 10,000 of the same opinion for any business.
    Old 09-11-2015, 06:03 AM

You could always email him and ask the question about increasing the size of the particular design you are looking at. http://www.lockwoodquilts.com/contact/contact.html
    Old 09-11-2015, 06:58 AM

Sometimes the most obvious solutions escape me...and you are right, the best approach is often the direct approach.

My problem is my wanting to wrap my head about a concept as much as it is making a product and that frequently requires buying several books and possibly patterns. My reluctance is less about the money, although a consideration, and more about building that one challenging quilt, adding my personality to the end product and that being more than picking a unique pallet of fabrics and not adding a huge amount of research to a future garage sale. Another respondent here mentioned that she had a hard time expanding a bargello and thought it might be just her, but I suspect bargellos, like many quilts, have their own set of challenges and there is more to it than buying D. Lockwood's design and expanding the 45" inch square outwards. I did the medallion thing with borders galore with my Jacqueline De Jonge avatar and it worked, but I was hoping that once you start it become intuitive and I do not have to do the border approach again.