Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine) >

You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine)

You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine)

Old 10-06-2015, 02:46 AM

A couple of years a go I bumped in to a blog page on a little green sewing machine, I think was called Sewhandy. Until then I always though the Featherweight was one of a kind, but Standard Sewing Company and General Electrics made comparable machine. It looks so nice, and I don't understand why it didn't become as popular and enduring as the black Singer model. According to the page Singer ended up buyting the company who had lisence to the machine. Here is a link to a virtual museum page on it. Has anyone seen it in real life? If it's cast iron it would be on the heavy side, but if it's aluminium it probably a light weight.

And here is a picture from the Sewmuse page.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-06-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

According to the article it weighs 12 pounds. I've not seen one but I think Candace has one.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:05 AM

Here's my most recent 3/4 size machine. A SEWMOR VS. It's a copy of the Singer 128, and as best as I can tell uses the same size bobbins and shuttle as the Singers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532597[/ATTACH]

I've still got work to do on the case bottom and wee bit more cleaning, but she sews nicely and will fit into my SEWMOR collection well.

Joe

PS: I've really go to work on a less cluttered place to take pics. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6291.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	532597  
Old 10-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
.....It looks so nice, and I don't understand why it didn't become as popular and enduring as the black Singer model. ..... Has anyone seen it in real life? If it's cast iron it would be on the heavy side, but if it's aluminium it probably a light weight.
It is light, but it is in NO WAY connected to the Featherweight. (LOT's of folks think it is, but it is not) The mechanism is totally different. This is an OK machine, but not typically a "goto" machine for regular sewing.

It seemed to me quality wise to be about 1/2 way between a toy machine and a singer....

EDIT: It also hold my record for the DUMBEST place to put a stitch length adjuster.... Yes, in front of the needle and in the fabric path so that the fabric can adjust it up "for you" as you sew!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
A couple of years a go I bumped in to a blog page on a little green sewing machine, I think was called Sewhandy. Until then I always though the Featherweight was one of a kind, but Standard Sewing Company and General Electrics made comparable machine. It looks so nice, and I don't understand why it didn't become as popular and enduring as the black Singer model. According to the page Singer ended up buyting the company who had lisence to the machine. Here is a link to a virtual museum page on it. Has anyone seen it in real life? If it's cast iron it would be on the heavy side, but if it's aluminium it probably a light weight.
A friend of mine just sold both his GE and Standard machines last weekend. The cuteness factor is the big draw for these machines, not the stitch quality. The FW has both.

Cari