Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing HST layout and some more questions... >

Choosing HST layout and some more questions...

Choosing HST layout and some more questions...

Old 10-10-2015, 03:19 PM

Lovely with the pinwheels but whatever you do, do not overbuilt it. I did that on a baby quilt and it turned into something resembling bark. Hard!!!
Old 10-10-2015, 04:23 PM

I also love pinwheels.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the group. I cannot see any of them that don't go together. Good job.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:15 AM

I like the second. It's modern and implies a colour block. Quilt it by treating the 4 as a single block.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:54 AM

love the pinwheels
Old 10-11-2015, 05:37 AM

I don't like all pinwheels, and I don't like all squares either. I love the first one with a pinwheel here and there. I see five of them in that layout. It makes you look around more to see what you can find. With the all-pinwheels layout, it may be more interesting if there where a square or five to break up the monotony.
Love your colors, and your English is almost perfect. Congratulations on being bi-lingual. Wish more of us were.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 AM

I like all pinwheels. If you need a larger quilt, add a narrow white strip between each row. You have done a good job. Just enjoy the process; if the recipient doesn't quilt, they will love whatever you do. Good luck and let us see the final result.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:34 PM

The top is done!

I hope not to disappoint you (I'm really worried about it, because you are so kind and patient), but I finally chose the second layout.

I woke up this morning and sewed 3 pinwheels. Don't ask me why, but it didn't appeal to me...
Then, I decided to try the first layout, but looking to this picture I realized that there was something 'wrong' (to me) with it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533124[/ATTACH]

It seems to me that the blocks on the intersection are 'mismatched'...

I didn't like that, but I thought I would put sashing between the blocks to solve the problem. I looked for my white fabric and decided that it was too much shiny (the whites in the HST are not pure white), so I went with a very very pale pink. I was pleased with this decision, but... again, I had not much pink fabric. Despairingly, I phoned my mother and asked if she still had some scraps from the fabrics she gave me this summer. Luckily, she said yes! So I went to her home and carried all of them...

The scraps were pretty small, so I couldn't get the same HST size (12 cms) but, with her scraps and my scraps, I got 10 new groups of 4 smaller HST! (10 cms).

So I trimmed (again) all my previous HST from 12 cms to 10 cms (it was SO HARD!) and started to sew them together. And this is the result:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533125[/ATTACH]

The top size is about 87 x 106 cms (35 x 42 inches, I think).

The colours are too much saturated in the picture because of the lamp, I will give another try tomorrow with sunny light.

Another picture (I love the music fabric, I wish to have more):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533126[/ATTACH]

Well, at least I learned some very valuable lessons today:
1 - Don't start cutting and sewing until you have a definite plan.
2 - Be sure you have enough fabric when you choose a design.

I'm going to dinner, today I did nothing but sew!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HST 3b .JPG
Views:	133
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	533124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 2.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	533125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 1.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	533126  
Old 10-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm sewing a baby quilt for a friend's daughter, but I can't decide about the layout. Please, help me... what do you like the best?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532945[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532946[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532947[/ATTACH]

Another questions:

- There are some color combinations in the HST units that are not the best: is it too late for unsewing and redo? (They are all trimmed now...)
- If I finally choose the option 1, how could I quilt it? Since I haven't got a quilting foot, I thought I would do straight lines with the walking foot, but there are 2 different designs (square in square and pinwheels), so I don't know how to do it... simply SITD?
- I'm afraid the quilt will be a bit too small. I didn't plan to add borders, and I don't have more fabrics in the same style. Would you add a narrow sashing between the blocks? If yes... what colour? Solid white? I'm not sure I like it... has anyone more ideas?

Thank you in advance!
My favorite is the first. Can't help with the other questions.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Silk you have done a splendid job...I love this layout...looks fabulous and you can stll add a complimentary border or two if you want to set the HST's off more and too increase the size otherwise it looks terrific as it is. And look at all your pointy points! Well done. Isn't it funny how sometimes inspiration just comes to you "out of the blue" and inevitably leads you to making the correct decision. It really is lovely and now I like your final layout better than pinwheels!! Lovely, lovely, and lucky, lucky baby!!