Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt patterns >

Quilt patterns

Quilt patterns

Old 10-18-2015, 01:57 PM

I have reached a point in my life where I can find something to admire about any quilt creation. That doesn't mean I am not selective about the patterns I like and choose to make and the fabrics and colors I choose. Some patterns may seem common to me, but someone else will not feel the same as I do. It is okay to make a common pattern. We each have different tastes in clothing and decorating and food. It is okay. As I browse through the Louvre and The National Gallery, there are many paintings I can admire, but would not want to hang some of them on my wall to live with. The same with other's quilt creations. Also tastes change with time and experience. I'll have to admit that I am not drawn in by what is currently popular if it is not my taste, but I will admire someone else's work if that is their taste. I am so glad that quilting offers so many options for us to express our own taste and creativity. Sometimes we have to search a lot to find just the right pattern to stimulate our interest, but it is there.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by DivaDee View Post
I HATE Sunbonnet Sue and Sam.
Many years ago they was a web page dedicated to naughty Sam and Sue, It was all quilt blocks I believe. Anybody remember this? it was hilarious
There is a YouTube video called "The Demise of Sunbonnet Sue" -- it's a lecture with video of quilt blocks showing the different ways Sunbonnet Sue might meet her demise.

I loved watching it, but I also love making Sunbonnet Sue/Sam quilts. Too bad for those who don't like them. I'm not making them for you anyways.

I personally love looking at all the different quilt designs. I feel like there is something interesting in all of them, even if it is something really small. As far as what I like to make, I've found I really hate making one-block quilts. Doing a 1,000 pyramid quilt now that I started in a Mary Fons workshop. The quilt is fine. I like the colors. It's just too boring for me to do the same thing over & over again 1,000 times (literally!). I prefer applique or whole cloth. But I'm glad that there are other quiltmakers that like making other types of quilts because I always enjoy seeing them finished.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Oh yes! Double wedding ring and cathedral window are two for me. Yuck, yuck. Done to death.

I know, I'm a grinch, hahaha!
I am with you on those two. I have never wanted to make either one of those.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:17 PM

I tried to make that once - failed. Too many fabrics and too few instructions. I like the pattern when it is made up by others, though.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 PM

I'm not a huge applique fan--probably cause I think it's so much work! And I often look at quilts in magazines and shudder--seems that designers are encouraged (required?) to use certain fabric lines and often seem way too cluttered and not enough contrast in prints. So I have to look at the solid color schematic they often show to explain the quilt assembly to see if I actually like the pattern.

And I've come to really appreciate the modern quilts, but just like any type of quilting, some of them don't appeal
Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 AM

The fabrics used can really make a difference. I have seen patterns that I really did not like, but then later saw them made up in different fabrics and loved them.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:39 AM

I have never liked patterns which are large circles, like Dresden Plate. Love the 30's fabrics, just not the Dresden Plate. And I hate fabrics with paisleys; I give away any which land here. I didn't like paisley the first time it was popular in my lifetime, which was in the 60's.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:38 AM

I'm not a fan of sampler quilts. They are too busy, and lack symmetry, which messes with my OCD, I guess. Also dislike churn dash, basket quilts and sunbonnet sue/sam. While I find appliqué beautiful, I don't do much of it, because I'm too impatient to spend hours on a single block. That being said, however, I've English Paper Pieced 3 queen sized quilts, by hand!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:19 AM

While I love seeing Judy Niemeyer or Ginny Beyer quilts because they are truly beautiful, I would never try them--way out of my league, so I tend not to like them as much.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:16 AM

I am sorry , but I seem to disagree with most of you, I look at quilts and see beauty in them all. I appreciate all the time and work the designer has put in to their masterpiece . I do not believe there is an ugly quilt or pattern out there. They may not be my choice of colours or material used, but that to is the beauty of quilting .... Happy Quilting,,,Davena