Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter? >

Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter?

Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM

I found the perfect (for me) quilt guild in Maine and have great shops and The Maine Quilt Show to look forward to in the summer. The shops Cyberian mentioned are close to me in Florida. I've found a knitting group in FL and hope to find a friendly guild soon. Yesterday would have been the perfect sewing day since it rained here in FL. but we still have boxes to unpack!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:53 PM

I like it here in West Texas. The people in the quilting community are wonderful, and there are always plenty of estate sales and garage sales that have lovely fabric and vintage machines. That is all that I need as long as I have quilting friends and a computer.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Kitsie I'm with you even though my trips to Fabric Depot take a little longer (hour). I can be at the beach or in the Cascades in little over an hour. Rivers, waterfalls, parks, sporting events & great quilt shops can happen all in one day.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:38 PM

I think anywhere close to Lancaster PA is pretty ideal. Love our Quilt Guild's bus trips to shops in area. Shopping till you drop
Old 10-28-2015, 05:24 PM

I am very happy were I am fabric shop about 1.2 miles away for anything I need , my wonderful son lives not far away and as he is my Bernina Technician, and will come by anytime Mum calls if there is a problem with the machine , what more could I ask for , just a little more time to sew would be nice .
Old 10-28-2015, 06:10 PM

Personally, I'd rather live somewhere that inspires my creativity than somewhere that has a lot of shops that sell quilting supplies. With global commerce & easy internet access, it is easy to get supplies shipped almost anywhere. Having to travel to find inspiration would be much harder for me.

My desire to live somewhere that inspires my quilting is part of the reason I'm moving back to Chicago. I am moving to a community of artists (not specifically quilters, but still...) and live across the street from a large park & one of the oldest conservatories in the country. Just looking out the window there gives me more ideas than I will likely ever be able to translate into fabric.

But the wonderful thing about art is that different people are inspired by different things. Some are inspired by the fabrics, threads & materials themselves. Others are inspired by incredible teachers. And yet others find inspiration in their own unique ways. It's what makes our craft so interesting & diverse.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

North Fort Worth & Dallas TX area.
International Quilt Festival each year in Oct/Nov.
Many great shops in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Many great quilt guilds in the area. Also many quilt shows done by the guilds in the area.
Many, many famous quilters, instructors, pattern and fabric designers in the state.
Moda/United Notions warehouses!
Great restaurants and less expensive housing than other states.
No state income tax.

Gee, I've about talked myself into returning there to live myself!!

Jan in VA
Old 10-28-2015, 09:01 PM

I live in Tucson,love it, love the quilt shops and all the teachers here. It is a perfect place to live
Old 10-28-2015, 09:31 PM

My stash is too big to move! I'm trying to reduce it before our house is sold, so I guess I'd better not move too near another fabric store!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I live in Tucson,love it, love the quilt shops and all the teachers here. It is a perfect place to live
I do not live in Tucson but I have visited and I think this would be a great place for a quilter. There are plenty of nice quilt stores and wonderful people. Nature is inspiring too and the weather is warm most of the time.