Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter? >

Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter?

Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:41 PM

Hubby and I are seriously thinking of moving to Wytheville, Va when he retires in 3 years. We love the mountains, the snow and want to live in a smaller town. We would like to have a little bit of land so we can have animals and a garden. Luckily enough there is a quilt shop there where I could work and shop! We are looking for a smaller community, our home town has become to big and expensive.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 PM

My guess is everyone's ideal is different. Quilt shops and famous teachers come and go, so that would not be a big factor for me.

My ideal is wherever I am!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:57 PM

in my sewing room! I live smack in the middle of the country and while the coasts are a bit of a "hike", I'm going to Hamilton MO a week from tomorrow and lots of LQS around here. Plus we are close enough to KC (Regional Quilt Fest)and Des Moines (AQS) to even daytrip to shows (ditto going to Cedar Rapids, IA for IMQS show) and both Houston and Paducah are just a day's drive--haven't been to either of those two--but definitely on my list!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:01 PM

I think Anchorage Alaska is my ideal place. No State or city sales taxes, great break on my property taxes and a dividend from oil taxes every year. No taxes on Social Security nor IRA except those Federal taxes we all pay. SOOOOOOOO more money to spend on Quilting and I have a great view of Snow covered MTS.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:01 AM

I agree with Ann in VA; the DFW area and North Central Texas are great. Lots of quilt stores, guilds, and friendly people. Plus we have lots of museums, galleries, theaters, malls and music and sports venues. It does get hot in the summer but we just turn down the A/C then escape to wonderful cool Colorado for a few weeks!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:02 AM

Oops, sorry that is JAN in VA!
Old 10-30-2015, 04:13 PM

I have a home in North Fl on the ST Johns River where I quilt in the winter. and then go to my Houseboat in May in KY and stay on the lake till Sept and do all my piecing of tops in the summer. So I think I have the best of both worlds. I even catch fresh fish weekly. Lots of thrift shops and quilting shops around and a days drive from Paducah. On Herrington Lake, big 35 mile lake close to Lexington. SO I feel blessed.. home state is KY. CMARAS1234
Old 10-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I'm 4 minutes from the sugar sand of the Gulf in the Clearwater, St. Petersburg area of FL. Keep Me in Stitches, my Babylock dealer is opening a shop 5 minutes from me in 1 1/2 weeks they are known for their great customer support and classes; Country Quilts is in Clearwater, great selection, customer service and wonderful classes, and Rainbow's End is up the road with great selection, and Happy Apple Quilts is in the same area and also has good selection and classes. Quilting and Sewing Expo is in Lakeland in March, and anywhere you travel in FL there are awesome quilt shops and teachers. When it's hot in the summer, I stay in and quilt, like the northerners do in the winter. Come on down, we live in Quilt Mecca!
Your part of Florida is beautiful. I love Clearwater. And Rainbows end is an awesome shop! If I could find a small farm down there I would move .
Old 10-30-2015, 06:17 PM

Cybrarian, I am a newbie snowbird leaving Michigan on Sunday and heading for Bradenton for the winter. I was happy to read your post cuz I believe Bradenton is not far from St Petersburg. I don't know the area well as this will be our first winter there. We have a Ford Flex with the seats all folded down and half the space us packed with my sewing machine, fabrics, and supplies. Looking forward to the next five months in Fl
Old 10-30-2015, 06:27 PM

Houston! Quilt Festival every year.

(Can you tell I'm on a Quilt Festival high?)