Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting --- >

Free Motion Quilting ---

Free Motion Quilting ---

Old 11-02-2015, 04:24 PM

I just started FMQ.

I have a Kenmore Trispan 88.

It's like it was made for FMQ.

I can go back and forth between piecing and quilting without changing anything but the feed dogs and stitch length.

I've only been doing it for a couple of days and it's really starting to grow on me.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
I've read this so many times that leaving the feed dogs up makes it easier for some people. Can you explain what you think makes the difference? Do the feed dogs put a drag on the fabric? (I assume you've set the stitch length to 0) Are the feed dogs moving up and down, but not forward? I just don't understand the mechanics of this. Thanks in advance for any replies.
The feed dogs are simply going up and down because stitch length is set to 0. Whether FMQing works better with feed dogs up or feed dogs down probably depends on the machine, but may also depend on the quilter. I have done it both ways on my Bernina 1230, and for me I can FMQ better with the feed dogs up. I think they grab the quilt just enough to hold it in position for the stitch, without creating drag on the quilt, so my free-motion moving of the quilt is not affected. It helps me get more even stitches.

My recommendation is for people to try it both ways to see what works best. There is no right or wrong in this! Just DO remember to set your stitch length to 0 if you have the feed dogs up. If you forget to set the stitch length to zero when the feed dogs are dropped, it won't make a whole lot of difference. However, if you forget to set the stitch length to zero when the feed dogs are up, it will quickly make FMQing very bizarre!

Edit: Understand that it is the forward movement of the feed dogs that you are setting with stitch length. The feed dogs move the fabric forward the amount you specify, then drop down to move back before coming up to again grab the fabric to move it forward. When stitch length is set to zero, the feed dogs do not move forward at all; they simply move up and down in place.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
Leah Day ( fmq quilter extrordinaire) quilts with hers up, sighting that it makes a difference in the tension. l personally leave them down, as l'm afraid they'll damage the backing. l use the hopping foot, and find l get a rythmn going with each hop as l move the fabric.Glad you found what works for you.
Hmmmm... she also recommends using the Supreme Slider. I wonder how she keeps her Slider from getting chewed up by the feed dogs.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 PM

You go girl! Glad you're having fun with this.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:36 AM

The supreme slider is supposed to cling to the machine but I put painters tape on the corners. I am trying to get the hang of FMQ but my circles still have points.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:37 AM

Leah Day's fabric does not touch the feed dogs since she uses a Supreme slider with only a tiny hole for the needle to touch the fabric. I have tried both ways and don't find much difference...I always set my stitch length to zero. My FMQ is still not great so I have really started using creative straight line quilting and really like it. My walking foot is my friend. Jackie Gerhing is great with this type of quilting and actually some of Angela Walters type quilting can be done with walking foot instead of hopping foot. Painters blue tape is also my friend...I don't like to mark much so have become very creative with the tape. I mostly do QAYG blocks of about 15" square and join them in rows after I have quilted. This makes using a walking foot practical. I have a Bernina Active 230 and the walking foot that comes with it is very easy to use.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 AM

Several years ago when I first began free motion quilting I discovered I had better luck with the feed dogs up but when anyone asked about it or I mentioned it they looked at me like I was crazy or maybe just didn't know any better. So I keep the feed dogs up and keep my mouth shut! ��
Old 11-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Good for you. I have FMQ with my feet dogs up for over 20 years and I have had no mechanical problems with my Bernina 1530. We all have to find out what works best for us.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 AM

Another question......I've noticed some of my stitches are loose and others large. Will washing draw these in a little tighter?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM

I thought I was totally bonkers leaving the feed dogs up, but it works! I was a total disaster when I first started FMQ, then I bought a foot that is made for my machine and practice, practice practice and now I love it. Good for you and I agree, the things I've learned from our members are worth more than any book I've ever bought.