Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one with this problem? >

Am I the only one with this problem?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 AM

Default too many layers

Flannel rag quilt - whether full size or lap size, in my opinion, is one layer thick. When you wash the quilt, the rag edges fluff up creating thickness to keep those using it warm. I made my first lap rag quilt in 2013 and had no problem washing/drying it. Sorry you have had so much trouble washing it. I hope you will not quit making a rag quilt because of what you experienced. God bless you.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I now found directions for making it with two layers of flannel or woven fabric and using a piece of batting in the middle. The first rag quilt I made had 3 layers of flannel. It used a layer of flannel in the middle instead of batting. This would indeed give 3 edges to rag making it very fluffy when finnished. I have never seen a rag quilt with one layer of flannel to be ragged. Are there any instructions online to do it this way? Indeed it would cut down on all the lint.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:57 AM

The one I made was a layer of flannel, a smaller square of batting, and a regular quilting cotton layer (I used a layer cake actually).

I remember it being fuzzy but not more than a couple of new towels. I did a lot of lint trap cleaning from the dryer, but I can't remember having any problems with the washer.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:00 AM

I know lots of people take them to the laundrymat. But I always have pity for the person that uses the machine next. What a mess. I love the idea of a chenille brush. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Hey Annaquilts (original poster)... just a thought here. I made rag pillows, and one small lap quilt, using a die a couple of years ago. These were gifts going to my Mom's family after she passed away, using her old clothes. Most of the clothes were either knit (like t-shirts) or fleece, and some polyesters. I washed and dried everything in my very old washer and dryer, no problems. But, those fabrics do not shred and lint as much as flannels or cottons, which is probably why I didn't have any issues, and I just thought about it after reading this thread.

I guess my point is that rag quilts can be made of anything, and if folks are really concerned about not being able to wash/dry them and being banished from the Laundromat, all is not lost.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:45 AM

When I made my daughter's rag quilt, I took it outside and hung it up, then beat the heck out of it with a broom before washing. Tiny pieces of thread flew off everywhere! Granted there was still a lot that came off during the washing and drying, but I think I probably got at least a third (if not more) of it out by doing this.

Donna
Old 11-05-2015, 02:06 PM

I asked the owner who has several local laundries about rag quilts in the washers. She did know what they were too. She said it would have been a problem several years ago but not now. The new machines are clog proof. Whatever that means. So go to the laundry that has the better machines.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I asked the owner who has several local laundries about rag quilts in the washers. She did know what they were too. She said it would have been a problem several years ago but not now. The new machines are clog proof. Whatever that means. So go to the laundry that has the better machines.
This is good to know. I would definitely not want to cause machine or plumbing problems by washing these quilts at the laundromat. I think I will try this.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:47 PM

I have made several rag quilts. I have an old king size sheet that I have folded in half and stitched up both sides and I put the rag quilt in it and stitch up the opening. I can then wash and dry the quilt in my washer and dryer. Once it comes out of the dryer I unstitch part of the seam and take the rag quilt out and shake. Do this outside because threads are everywhere.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by MelBledsoe View Post
I have made several rag quilts. I have an old king size sheet that I have folded in half and stitched up both sides and I put the rag quilt in it and stitch up the opening. I can then wash and dry the quilt in my washer and dryer. Once it comes out of the dryer I unstitch part of the seam and take the rag quilt out and shake. Do this outside because threads are everywhere.
What a brilliant, practical idea!