Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on using Metallic Thread >

Update on using Metallic Thread

Update on using Metallic Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 03:21 AM

I have had no prob with my metallics from Metro. I place the spool away from the machine, let it unwind from the top thru an eyelet in my thread stand, over to the machine and thread as usual. One of my machines I cannot even slow the speed on and I have no breakage. However, I DO run a few lines of 'sewer's aid' (no..I stopped buying that & use plain mineral oil instead!) For yrs I had been afraid of metallics, but now I enjoy using them. I fill an eyedrop bottle w/ mineral oil and keep by each machine.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 AM

you know sometimes the stores hold there stock a long time when it is not bought and then its old and will break every time they don't say how long it was in stock my husband was working for a company that shipped to the stores and he says you don't know how long they held it at the warehouse either he tells me to look and make sure it looks smooth because if it looks can of ratty it will break every time because it is old
Old 11-07-2015, 07:54 AM

It does make a difference if the spool is vertical or horizontal. (have to check my notes also). I keep all my silk and metallic threads stored in ziplock bags. And use a metallic needle.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

The more eye hole guides you have to go through the more control the thread has. I glued two safety pins to the back of my machine and use them to guide my thread through. They are rigged so the thread goes through the spring loop at the end of the pin. It really helps control the tension and minimizes back lash on the thread.

I have also taped a straw horizontally on the back of the machine to put the thread through as a guide. Both things have worked for me in controlling the thread.
peace

peace
Old 11-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Banned

I used to have TONS of problems with metallic threads.
What resolved 97% of my problems are listed below.

Of course I have only done a couple FMQ projects using
metallic thread, I DO however use metallic for machine
embroidery a lot.

90/14 LARGE eye SHARP needle.
Thread Net
slow the machine speed way down.

Also I mainly use Floriani metallic threads, so far it is the
only brand I found that works well for me without all the
troubles.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Not a frequent user of metallics, but doesn't it make difference if it feeds vertically or horizontally...not sure which is correct, I always have to check my notes when I do it.
Found this website that addresses metallic threads & common issues with them:
http://academyofquilting.com/library...icult-threads/

The other issue I've found with metallics is sometimes they don't like me to FMQ a particular direction. With small quilted items I can just turn my project. I've never made a large project with metallic thread. I don't know what I'd do in that case.

Last edited by Bree123; 11-07-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:54 PM

I am trying to quilt with metallic thread right now. I tend to have the best luck with a metallic needle. I also lower the speed. Somewhere I saw that one kind of metallic thread should come off of the top of the spool and another kind should come off of the side. I can never remember which one goes which way. This works best for me. It still breaks but not as often. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:14 AM

I used metallic thread on my Christmas panel last year. I even embroidered names on the socks in the panel. I used a needle especially made or metallic thread. The metallic needle was made by Schmetz an bought at Joann's. The eye of the needle is longer so that there is not as much stress on the thread. I used both the round and flat metallic and had no problems. I also used a little longer stitch (don't remember stitch length).
Old 11-08-2015, 12:31 PM

My machine like thread that is smooth. If the thread has a rough feel it will break all the time. Once I started using King Star I never had a problem.