Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine ? >

New machine ?

New machine ?

Old 11-08-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by materialgrl View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a brother machine at walmart,I dont need anything fancy and it is in my price range with every thing I want, my question is should I purchase the protection plan walmart offers or not ,40 $ for 3 years
My original machine is a Brother from Walmart. I chose not to purchase the extended waranty, and do not regret it. If you keep it clean, treat it gentle, you won't need a warranty. Manufacturing defects are already covered by Brother, so no worries there. They still sell my model. Mine is 11 years old and still works perfect with no visits to a repair shop. If I had bought the same machine to teach with, I would have bought the warranty because others are not as careful with my toys though. I hope this helps....
Old 11-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Yes it has been very helpful, and saved me money too, I'll be taking your advice and not buying the warranty, cant wait to get started .
Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by materialgrl View Post
Yes it has been very helpful, and saved me money too, I'll be taking your advice and not buying the warranty, cant wait to get started .
just a quick note about the machine from Walmart, they do have a vibration as you use them (most low end machines do), but if you pick up a couple of the older, thicker (goodwill?) mouse pads, and set the machine on it, it works much quieter. Have a blast. The instructions are easy to follow and if you need any help, come here or PM me.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:55 PM

We don't purchase the extended warranty on anything. By the way, I also have the Brother machine from Walmart. We did not buy the extended warranty.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Extended warranties are pure profit for the companies. My husband and I never buy the warranties. We would rather invest in ourselves.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Some of the vintage machine bases are heavy as lead. I think that stops the vibrating when in use. I have a Janome Jem and it vibrates but I wanted a light machine for toting around so it's a compromise.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I'm going on a retreat this weekend and I'll be doing paper piecing. I went to Walmart this morning and bought the Brother Cs6000i for $135 to take to the retreat because it has an auto thread cutter. That is so useful to have when paper piecing. My older portables, Jem and FW, do not have the auto cutter.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-10-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I am taking it back! Ugh, box said built in thread cutter, it is not automatic thread cutter. Big difference.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Okay I'm confused I find some reviews that says the machine has the auto thread cutter and some that says no it doesn't. I don't want to unpack it from the box before I know for sure. Anyone know?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:04 PM

I am looking for the automatic thread cutter too, that's why I'm getting the SE400, but I have to order on line