Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's wrong with this quilt? >

What's wrong with this quilt?

What's wrong with this quilt?

Old 11-20-2015, 12:51 AM

I am not sure what you find "wrong" with it. Sometimes when we make things, the final product is less appealing--but I can't see what's wrong with it. It is a simple pattern and actually turned out quite pretty to me. I don't necessarily want it in my bedroom, but many would.

If this is the first quilt that has turned out "wrong" (as in this type of wrong), you can hope that all the rest of your "flops" may turn out so badly! (grin)

I don't see the yellow as light on my main monitor.

When I made the Warm Wishes pattern, I used all of the squares the same size. I see that you made some large squares and then some bordered squares. This ends up making it look like a somewhat different pattern. I see "I"'s and lots of red. If you had used all large squares instead of the bordered squares for some, it would look more like the Warm Wishes as I understand the pattern.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:32 AM

I agree with those who says there is not enough difference in color values.....they all fall into the mid range of tones, while the light and dark ranges are absent. But it is a nice quilt - I like this pattern
Old 11-20-2015, 03:34 AM

Oh, I love it! It is beautiful. You must just be having a bad "quilt" day!!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:34 AM

It's very lovely. Maybe you don't like it because the color values are all about the same. Some people don't like quilts unless there's a lot of contrast. I like both low contrast quilts and high contrast quilts. I think low contrast quilts are soothing.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. It's a nice Christmas quilt.
Maybe you're just tired of looking at it.
First thing I thought also was that it would make a nice Christmas quilt. I agree with the others that you might be tired of looking at it. Put it away for awhile and then pull it out. If you still don't like it, pass it along. I think it's beautiful!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

i'm in the 'I like' group. i agree that the fabric for the posies is too homogeneous... but it makes a great quilt anyway. if you don't like it, chalk it up to a learning experience... i have a lot of those
Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 AM

On my computer the "green" reads teal, so my first thought is it goes perfect with my living room! i have red walls and teal sofa- gold drapes etc. I like it very much!
The only thing I really see, is that there could have been a darker value maybe in the borders or somewhere to give it some zing. It is lovely the way it is though.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

This is where EQ comes into play. I might have tried having the either the yellow gold or something lighter be the center of the sashing. I think what Prism 99 said is so true. In most quilts that I find attractive have a light, medium and dark fabric. I also would not have put the small red border around the cornerstones. It is a very busy quilt but there is someone who would enjoy having this quilt. I just sent an ugly baby quilt of to my church's LAQ. I just told them it can go to the Caribbean or Africa just anywhere to find someone to love that quilt.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:38 AM

I see what you mean. I just finished one I was not thrilled with either. The recipient chose the fabrics so they will be happy. I think the fabrics tone were too close. Not enough variance to show them off separately
Old 11-20-2015, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

My only comment is almost all the fabrics are the same medium value. Because the yellow/cream is the only exception, being a light, yellow 'circles' and lines are what you notice, with the rest of the quilt sort of blending into the background. Having said that, I don't think it's very objectionable. The colors and fabrics are lovely and someone will be thrilled to receive it