Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kit help please >

Quilt Kit help please

Quilt Kit help please

Old 12-19-2015, 05:27 AM

Yesterday, I starched the heck out of the two panels and went for it. Gotta say that I will never buy a kit like this again. The skewing of the fabric was awful, but it's cut. I start sewing this morning. And no, the Fons & Porter kit still isn't here.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by lyndaj View Post
Yesterday, I starched the heck out of the two panels and went for it. Gotta say that I will never buy a kit like this again. The skewing of the fabric was awful, but it's cut. I start sewing this morning. And no, the Fons & Porter kit still isn't here.
Well, I guess you now understand why some of us don't pre-wash! I don't pre-wash anything as I like the finish. Why wash that finish off, only to have to starch it? And starch may attract bugs! I understand why some pre-wash because of allergies or if the fabric is old and needs to smell better but, if it's new and a printed design, it's gonna stay "as is" for me.

Hope your Fons and Porter shipment arrives. I mailed an important letter to a town within 30 miles of me 2 years ago and it still hasn't arrived! Admittedly, this is a poor time of year to expect prompt delivery but maybe even moreso that people want Christmas packages to arrive in a timely manner. Glad you have a Plan B.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 AM

...glad to see there are some no prewashers here...I thought I was the only one...hiding in the bushes....and I don't use starch at all either.....so far so good - 20+yrs.....

...and I have acquired several Amish hand quilted and these were not washed after completion either....nor are they starched.....and they are beautiful.....
Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 AM

Thanks, Linnie. I never pre-wash either, and I have suffered no misfortunes. My best buddy is a pre-washer fanatic, but it just has not rubbed off on me.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Well, I guess you now understand why some of us don't pre-wash! I don't pre-wash anything as I like the finish. Why wash that finish off, only to have to starch it? And starch may attract bugs! I understand why some pre-wash because of allergies or if the fabric is old and needs to smell better but, if it's new and a printed design, it's gonna stay "as is" for me.

Hope your Fons and Porter shipment arrives. I mailed an important letter to a town within 30 miles of me 2 years ago and it still hasn't arrived! Admittedly, this is a poor time of year to expect prompt delivery but maybe even moreso that people want Christmas packages to arrive in a timely manner. Glad you have a Plan B.
FYI, I used Mary Ellen's Best Press which I understand doesn't attract bugs. I have too sensitive skin to not wash all of my fabric before using.

As for the Fons and Porter shipment, I ordered the kit two days before US Thanksgiving and it shipped on November 30. I have NEVER waiting this long for anything I have ever ordered from the US or from Europe for that matter.

At any rate, Darth Vader will have to fill in for now.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:48 PM

Do you have a tracking # for the shipment? I would send an email now & contact by phone(?) on Mon. I know it isn't really their problem after shipping but it doesn't hurt to make them aware of the problem. Maybe they will send another or give you a refund. 3 wks is really too long.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:02 PM

Others have said don't pre wash a panel. They are squiffed already and washing makes them worse. Sorry about your Fons and Porter pattern. It will arrive as soon as you finish the panel.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
Do you have a tracking # for the shipment? I would send an email now & contact by phone(?) on Mon. I know it isn't really their problem after shipping but it doesn't hurt to make them aware of the problem. Maybe they will send another or give you a refund. 3 wks is really too long.
No, there is no tracking #. In fact, they don't even bother telling you when they ship your order. I had to call them to even find out that.

I sent them an email on Friday expressing my displeasure and suggested that they 1. send emails to customers when orders are shipped and 2. they use tracking so customers can know where their orders are.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 AM

I do not prewash...but if you have the Darth Vader quilt kit that I have with all the red, black, and white I would suggest using a Color Catcher the first time you go to wash it. If you don't mind my asking, do you have a link for the Fons and Porter Star Wars quilt? I hope you have received your Fons and Porter order.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I have a couple panels and prewashed before cutting. I used my kitchen table as an ironing surface. I also lightly starched and smoothed them out before ironing. I wanted all the wonkiness and quirks straightened out before I cut. I am a prewasher of everything and I do it in hot water and hot dryer. Mine turned out well and I had no problem squaring up the fabric.