Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Esqmommy, just checked by looking up board name in the search section of user list. Her blog has not been updated to show her progress on jane but she does also have embroidery jane blocks & other samplers. I look forward to her input.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
I think it's Great Britain. But I not sure.
LOL, I tend to use UK because it's shorter to type, but if asked, I always say I am English, rather than British. I had neighbours when I was younger, who had moved from Scotland to our town, and they would never say they were British, they always said they were Scots, so that is when I became English!
Yep we Scots and English like to differentiate LOL
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

I have been thinking ahead and what is beginning to bother me slightly is the problem of quilting this quilt. I had thought originally that I would hand quilt it in strips, then join in a quilt as you go method. Having seen the bulk of some of the seams, even though I am trying to iron them open as much as possible, I am having doubts about trying to hand quilt it. On the other hand, to machine quilt it would be stop/start all the time, and I also think that would be a pain. Has anyone else had thoughts on this knotty problem?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have been thinking ahead and what is beginning to bother me slightly is the problem of quilting this quilt. I had thought originally that I would hand quilt it in strips, then join in a quilt as you go method. Having seen the bulk of some of the seams, even though I am trying to iron them open as much as possible, I am having doubts about trying to hand quilt it. On the other hand, to machine quilt it would be stop/start all the time, and I also think that would be a pain. Has anyone else had thoughts on this knotty problem?
I'm glad someone else has bought it up.... I thought you guys would laugh if you knew I was already wondering about how to quilt this beast! lol

I machine quilt, so my thoughts have been more about how to manage the sheer size, as well as the style of quilting to do.

With the bulky seams for hand quilting, does it help if you block each one? Spray it with a water bottle and then pin it to size and iron it nice and flat. That would set your seams nice and flat, but you'd still have the bulk I guess.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Ahh, Blue, it's not just me then. When I finish each block, that's when I starch it, just before I trim it, so that is as flat as I am going to get it. It's more a question of just how many layers of fabric are at some of the junctions of these little pieces. If I were to hand stitch it, I would end up having to stab stitch in these areas. I suppose I am hankering for the hand quilted look to make it look more 'authentic' or more 'old' looking I suppose I am trying to say.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 AM
Administrator

if you're making small blocks ... say ... 6" finished or less ... you should consider trimming your seam allowances to less than 1/4".

if you do foundation piecing or plan to echo quilt close to both sides of the seams, a 1/8" allowance should remain sturdy throughout the years. otherwise, i'd recommend 3/16" or thereabouts.

the narrower allowances will leave more "quiltable" surface.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 AM

I've seen a couple of people say they trim the seam allowance to 1/8th.

I would love to try hand quilting, and I will one day, but I don't think this will be the project to start on! LOL
Old 01-21-2010, 03:21 AM
Banned

greetings all

i've missed you all so very much!!!

DH goes in for his medical tests and procedures today and after that i'll be able to spend more time here.

since PM isn't able to send out mass messages can you guys PM me your email addresses this way i'll be able to write everyone without having to send out 75 PMs.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 AM

So good to see you back! :-)

Hope everything goes well for DH, it's always the waiting bit that's the hardest.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:30 AM

Klue- best wishes to you and DH!!

Blue- as far as the quilting, I am hoping that no one will shoot me for this but, I was thinking of having it done by a LA quilter as I feel that if I actually finish it I would spend the money to do this. I have also thought of hand quilting but am very scared!!