Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts made from our stash >

Quilts made from our stash

Quilts made from our stash

Old 12-31-2015, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

Scrappy doesn't refer to the quality of the fabric, just that we are being frugal using every bit of fabric from our stash.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I want to stop calling our quilts "scrappy". I love quilts with many different fabrics and I have lots of lengths of fabric with a missing corner. Those pieces were anywhere from 9 to 14 dollars a yard. These are not scraps and people that don't quilt think our quilts are of little value. We need to help others understand quilting is an art form. We need to stop selling ourselves short.
You are welcome to come by and play in my $1000, scrap pile anytime. To a dog, table scraps are a feast!
peace
Old 12-31-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I love scrappy quilts. That is, quilts made from pieces of fabric from my stash. I cringe a little at some scrappy patterns which say; Buy 2 yds of this and 1 yd of that and cut and sew back together. That to me is not scrappy.
Rant over! Love all you quilty people and this board!
Old 12-31-2015, 05:46 AM

I think "scrappy" is what quilters call them. When I talk to non-quilters I simply call it a quilt... so they don't misunderstand what I mean!!! scrappy or not, it is a quilt for everyone don't you think?
Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 AM

Oh well! Just an idea or idle thought. I grew up sleeping under quilts made by my family. They were '30's style and appliqués. Those are what I tend to make most of all and I donate rather than sell anyway!
Old 12-31-2015, 05:53 AM

I understand what you are saying. I do think the term "scrappy" to a quilter does mean one thing and another to a non-quilter. I also agree that to a quilter, "scrappy" is a style and should carry no less value than a say specific "pattern" of quilt. Unfortunately, for those who do not quilt, they probably don't get the vision and talent it takes for a quilter to put together something pleasing to the eye from a stash of various fabrics ... much less the time involved to select, envision and piece a scrappy quilt. It's like "creating" a 1,000 piece puzzle. Maybe that would be a good name ... "puzzle quilt".
Old 12-31-2015, 06:39 AM

Most people I know love the scrappy quilts the best. I don't think the term devalues the quilt in any way.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:03 AM

I like the term "quilt made from my stash" and it will appear on my future quilt labels.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

"Scrappy" quilts require more thinking from me when I try to make them than when I am making a quilt that uses the same blocks over and over.

I do agree that "scrappy" in the quilting world means using many different fabrics. Some of which may be leftovers from other projects. Some of the pieces are probably cut from a large piece of fabric to make the design work.

Non-quilters do not realize how much it costs to make a quilt. In fact, I was looking through the Keepsake Quilting catalog - first one I've gotten in years - and I was having sticker shock looking at the prices of the kits.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:45 AM
RST

Do you really think that "made from my stash" conveys more meaning or a more positive meaning to a non-quilter? In common usage, stash probably connotes marijuana more than anything else -- just saying.