Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt >

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

Old 01-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
What a treasure! I would do a facing rather than a binding. It will leave the edges nice and flat and preserve the wonderful shape. Plus it's much easier to do.
Hello Dunster ~ Please explain doing a facing.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I made one similar to that as my first quilt. I cut my binding on the bias. Made it much easier to apply. Beautiful quilt.
Hello My Friend ~ Why doesn't it surprise me you tackled a wedding ring as one of your FIRST quilts?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Thank-you everyone for your input and suggestions, each and every one has given me points to ponder.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
I would send this to the Amish to be hand quilted and bound.

Do you have any suggestion on how one would find an Amish that would quilt and bind? This is intriguing to me but no doubt would be way out of my affordability.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Gorgeous quilt and I agree with the others that it begs to be finished and the corners must remain as-is. The back should be muslin. The binding could be whatever you want, but my grandmother made several of these and she always matched the binding to one of the colors in the 4-patches. I don't know if that is the "traditional" way, but just another option for you to ponder. Please post it again when you finish it!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'd like to address the issue of binding fabric only. I still have in my collection some of these very fabrics, so I do wonder if some of them may be a bit less than 50 years old, more like 35-38 years old??

Nonetheless, other than the red circled fabrics below, which indicate the ones I am so familiar with, the light green and the light yellow are still available in Kona cottons from Kaufman. Several online shops carry them.

Also Connecting Threads carries solids that are similar to these solids in your quilt. They even carry some "ditsy" prints like the ones I circled, little tiny prints that look "old fashioned".

You won't have trouble finding something that will work very well for binding and be period correct for your lovely treasure.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fabric2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	539587  
Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Do you have any suggestion on how one would find an Amish that would quilt and bind? This is intriguing to me but no doubt would be way out of my affordability.
Amish finished is the way I'd go if this were mine. Beautiful quilt.

You can google.....example...."Amish near ------ Idaho" you should come up with a location of a Amish community. I found several in Idaho. Then you can google to see if there are any online Amish businesses in that location. They have English do websites for them. You could contact that business & ask them if they know of any that make quilts & their location. The other option would be to drive to the location they live & speak to them, as they normally only use phones for emergency services. However some Amish communities now permit using phones now for business, so the business may have a phone. I am sure there would be some there that make quilts. You would need to make sure you request "hand stitched", as many Amish now use sewing machines. They just plug them into a generator. Set up every detail...i.e., the type of batting, type/style of quilting, binding fabric, hand stitched, price, etc. You should do it in writing.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I too would inquire with finding a group to hand quilt this quilt top. Many churches still have groups that hand quilt other quilt tops and donate the money to their churches. I would use Dream Cotton batting. I would try to match the green in the diamond or see what matches the best. Yes, you will have to make bias bindings going around those curves.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 AM

Such a treasure!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I'd like to address the issue of binding fabric only. I still have in my collection some of these very fabrics, so I do wonder if some of them may be a bit less than 50 years old, more like 35-38 years old??

Nonetheless, other than the red circled fabrics below, which indicate the ones I am so familiar with, the light green and the light yellow are still available in Kona cottons from Kaufman. Several online shops carry them.

Also Connecting Threads carries solids that are similar to these solids in your quilt. They even carry some "ditsy" prints like the ones I circled, little tiny prints that look "old fashioned".

You won't have trouble finding something that will work very well for binding and be period correct for your lovely treasure.

Jan in VA
Hello My Special Friend Jan ~

When Kate gave this flimsy to me it definitely was 1967, I have the dated gift card December 5th 1967 (I found a gift card yesterday in our wedding book), she passed away in December 1969 age 91, the same month my father passed away. My DH and I were married in August 1967, at that time she gave us a completed hand piece and hand quilted, quilt which is still used and displayed on one of our beds from time-to-time.

I had taken this flimsy to my long arm person when I was dropping off another quilt for him to quilt for me. I wanted his opinion on whether to quilt this flimsy. He said that he had quilted several 'antique' quilts. I said, "Well though this isn't an antique I'd still like to have it quilted so I could use it." My husband laughed along with my long arm guy and said, " In another year it will be 50 years." I was gob-smacked at the thought it was nearly 50 years old since it was given to me, and I'm sure it took Kate some time to piece it, so I surmise the fabrics are definitely 50+ years old.

It's kind of like hearing for the first time someone the same age as yourself referred to as elderly! What age are we officially 'elderly'? It was a shock to my system to hear me referred to as an elderly person by my doctor, I'm 67 closing in on 68! But I digress.

Though you may have the same fabrics, I do know for a fact the age of this flimsy. My personal provenance of this flimsy is based on the date of presentation to me as a gift to a young bride and her husband. (where has time gone???)

I'm thrilled that you have suggested Kona solids for the binding. I have dropped the flimsy off with LA so the woman that binds his quilts can assure me that she wants to tackle binding this. I will be providing the binding fabric so I'm so grateful for your suggestions. I do think I will try and replicate one of the colors of the four patch. I will take a look at Connecting Threads 'ditsy' fabrics (giggling here at the word ditsy) at your suggestion too.

Would you suggest using the Kona Solids for the backing too?

On a side note which amuses me, I was thinking the reason Kate may have given the top to me as a flimsy, is perhaps she didn't want to bind it for the same reason I'm perplexed by the complexity of binding around the four patches with all those inward corners. Kate was a delightfully comical fun person. She never seemed to put needle and fabric down, during any visit with her she continued to stitch, telling of her life in snippets of stories about Ireland, being a new bride in the 'new' country of "the U.S. of A." How she loved living in NW Ohio, but she'd always be Irish and she had loved me since I was a wee one. Oh the memories.... Yes, this flimsy needs to finished.

(((Hugs))) to you Jan....

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-07-2016 at 06:52 AM.