Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Budget >

Quilting Budget

Quilting Budget

Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 PM

I think there are some very good suggestions, ideas here. I am fortunate not to have a budget, and can buy whatever, whenever I want. What I have found though, is that I have so many "bucket list" projects, that I'm working my way through those, using the stash I have. My problem is space...I've reached my limit, so working on using up what I have.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:42 AM

My husband has put me on a quilting budget and I am not sure how much he puts in there but I do know I am in the red from 2015 and its carried over. No shopping for me for a while. I need to use what I have
Old 01-08-2016, 05:56 AM

We are a Dave Ramsey family and debt free. We do not own a house so must pay rent each month.

For the last 2 years I kept track of all quilting expenses--including retreat, etc. Both years it came out to about $1,000. I seldom buy fabric as I have a great stash and work with a charity group that gets LOTS of donations. I found this very interesting and will track again this year. I like looking back at the end of the year.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I don't have a budget, but I do try to take into consideration if the fabric I buy may have another use besides what I bought it for. Fabric is so expensive now that I really don't buy as much as I used to.
Smart plan. I really think about how I will use fabric now instead of just buying on a whim.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 AM

I don't have a budget per se, but (mostly) try to limit myself to purchasing what I need to compliment the fabrics in my stash for any given project.

If you are wanting to build stash I highly recommend stocking up on blenders and neutrals. These will stand you in good stead now and in the future. I also look for fleece on sale in the colors I use most as that is what I use for combination backing/batting on snuggle quilts.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 AM

I don't have a budget either and only buy for each project.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I had money left over from my budget last year. That went to spending for Christmas. I have a reasonable stash, machines work great. I budget $50 a month and have been under for awhile. I stick it, literally, into our savings account. Hoping to go up north this summer with DH. I have the fabric in my project boxes for the designated projects. Bought stash of batting and backing. Still under budget. I prefer to call it a 'money plan".
Old 01-08-2016, 12:47 PM

I do not have a budget anymore. I did when raising a family but now that they are all grown I don't need to. The only rule we live by on spending money is never use credit. If we can't pay cash we don't buy. My stash is way larger than I will ever use but I still have to buy when I see fabric I love. I don't buy many kits but when I do I try to make them up right away. My DD says not to worry she will use it all someday. I started a couple of years ago to find a pattern and buy all the fabrics I need at the same time and put it in large zip bags and have my own homemade kits. Then when I want a new projects I go through and choose from them.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
For the first seven years after I bought my home, I spent every dime of my "mad money" budget on fabric. It became an obsession. Two years ago, one of the lovely members here issued a challenge to go as long as possible without buying any fabric, just using our stash of fabric. I took the challenge, and in the last (nearly) two years, I have bought no new fabric. I have spent less than $20 last year buying a pattern I have always wanted to try, and nothing else but thread. I guess my temporary fabric buying madness was way out of control because I am still working only from my stash. Now that my fabric storage room has been returned to use as a bedroom, I have no way to justify buying more for several years. My beautiful quilting room is now full of storage totes, drawers, boxes, etc. so still not going to buy more. I have OCD and just stopping a behavior is a huge win for me.
Congratulations, that must feel so good for you. I really got buying when I realized that fabric lines are issued and then discontinued quickly so when I saw fabric I liked I bought so feel my stash is worth more. I'm kind of glad I bought lots of fabric as the prices have only gotten higher over time. After buying all that fabric I really didn't do much quilting(lots of reasons) so I don't know yet if I have much that I don't like anymore. I'm right now on the verge of getting back to quilting big time this year.(fingers crossed). I'm trying not to buy this last year or so but just ordered two kits I liked so need to watch out and only get what's needed to finish a quilt.

Good luck in using up your stash.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:56 PM

My husband has a boat. I'll budget when he does. hehe I have been buying less recently because I'm running out of storage area and need absolutely nothing but that's really just personal choice. I bought a lot before I retired and fortunately I still like what I bought.