Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie needs some help >

Newbie needs some help

Newbie needs some help

Old 01-24-2016, 01:29 PM
mim

stick with pillows and table runners until you have mastered some patterns. That way you won't waste very much fabric. Even go to good will to get clothes to cut up. Also go to the section for tutorials - you will find so much help --
Old 01-24-2016, 04:28 PM

What about a strip quilt? You could find fabrics in the colors of the pillow. As far as quilting, you could SITD, or stitch 1/4" on either side of the ditch, or multiple wavy lines through the strips, or even use a decorative stitch between strips. The strips would be easy to assemble and the quilting options would add interest. My concerns with using squares would be that it might clash w/the pillow. Just a thought.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 PM

What about a log cabin, using the colours in the pillow for half the block and a main colour (maybe the red?) for the other half? That is pretty straightforward and you can STID to quilt it.
That was what I did for my first quilt and it turned out well.

Watson
Old 01-25-2016, 03:41 AM

I would do a simple braid quilt. Pick out matching colors to the pillow and go with the 2 1/2 x 6 inch braid pattern. Many tutorials online.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 AM

How about no pattern - just cut out 4" square the colors of your cushion and use the cushion as your guide for the random color layout.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:55 AM

Simple nine patch.in these colors, separated by a solid square of one of the colors in the pillow......
Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would keep it simple and just find fabric to match the colors in the pillow and make her a quilt from squares that match her pillow. Keep it simple. I LOVE the colors that are in that pillow. This quilt is made from 6" cut squares and the dimensions are 57" x 73.5".

My first thought when I saw the pillow was a Postage Stamp Quilt. Exactly the same, just different size blocks!! Great minds think alike!!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

There have been many times in my quilting journey where I doubted myself or as you said, got a "brain freeze", however, one thing I learned is to use the "Beginner", "Intermediate" and "Advanced" comments on a pattern as a generalized term. I once made a medallion basket block quilt, my DH saw a crib pattern in a magazine, said he'd like that for our bed, only we had a king size bed. Well, what the heck, I figured all I had to do was make more blocks, which I did. Then I decided to machine quilt the quilt, I even did feathered rings in the 4 center blocks. Yup, it was the first quilt I machine quilted, and it was king size, but I learned so much making that quilt, as I gained so much experience while making and quilting it. Have I done "advanced" quilts? Sometimes, but I use that commentary as a guideline, then follow my "gut ", tell myself I can do that and I do. That first DMQ quilt was on our bed for a long time, was it perfect, no; however, I learned so much, and quilting it helped me get through the loss of an older brother to cancer, so it was also healing. Don't question yourself, or doubt yourself, as the majority of my first quilts would have been deemed at least "intermediate" or more, but I enjoy the challenge and stretching myself to the max. I hope this gives you the inspiration to trust your own judgment in quilting, just follow your heart and you'll do fine.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 PM

I would suggest looking for a print with many of those colors in it as your main fabric. Then choosing 2 or 3 tone on tone or other coordinating fabrics for accenting your print. I think it's really hard to match solid fabrics to solid upholstery fabrics. But then I love prints the most anyway so I may be prejudiced.
Most of all, have fun and trust your ability. I have made way over 100 quilts and each time I learn something.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:20 PM

these are all great suggestions. Go with your gut. I have been on this board for a couple of years just reading and learning but not saying much. I have learned so much and now feel confident to reply to some posts. I am in the process of starting another quilt also while trying to finish up ones that are done but not quilted yet. Always have to have something going on. The hard part is there are so many many great patterns that it is hard to choose which one to do. I always go with my gut and heart as to which one I want to do. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.