Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've turned into a fabric snob! >

I've turned into a fabric snob!

I've turned into a fabric snob!

Old 01-30-2016, 05:55 AM

No need to feel guilty - it is part of the learning process. Most of us have gone thru that phase and some of us still are.
Enjoy where you are now at.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 AM

I culled fabric last year....but I need to do it again. The quality of fabric I buy now is way better then what I thought was good stuff when I started quilting a few years ago. I really hate to part with fabric...but if I know I will never use it, it's gotta go!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 AM

Quilter's Faire in Palm Springs carries exquisite fabrics and has lovely staff. Shopped there while on vacation last year and loved it! I live 1800 miles away so it's not likely I'll get back there soon but I sure would if I could!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:34 AM

I am also on the same process as you...luckily I can pass my unwanted fabric onto my grandchild who is learning to sew...win*win
Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 AM

I too have a lot of fabric. I try to incorporate it into the quilts, mug rugs or pet dish mats. I am in the middle of doing that now. In the mean time or whenever I have free time, I am trying to straighten out my craft room. LOL
Old 01-30-2016, 11:33 AM

There are retired individuals out there who live on a fixed income and quilt with whatever fabrics they can find. I found one. My DH bought a 'block" or quilting supplies at an auction for $10---he surprised me with it. There were many items in this block and I was thrilled. I was especially excited about a pair of REALLY HIGH QUALITY scissors but couldn't figure out why they hurt my thumb and fingers when I tried to cut with them. DUH! When I put them in my LEFT hand they worked like a charm...but I am right-handed. Anyway, found a woman who was desperate for fabric and was left handed. What a GREAT feeling giving them away to someone who would use and appreciate them.
Ask your local guild if there is someone who needs fabric and donate what you no longer want. I appreciate all those who mailed me their leftover stash when I was starting out. It is fun to help others out!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:53 AM

I too love to work with good fabric -- unless I have no choice (DH, DS and DSIL want mug rugs and table runners for their favorite sports teams and the DGS want licensed character fabric and that fabric is not the quality I want and they are soooo expensive).

I have had the opportunity (because of our move) to handle all of my fabric. I found that 90% of my stash was bought at good LQS so I enjoyed handling it, but oh some of the prints I have moved on from. Our church gets the old "why did I buy it" fabric and there have been some awesome quilts made from it. I'm glad I still like a lot of my fabric (both hand and feel) since I can't afford to start over with my stash.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 PM

Oh, I am a snob as well. I have even taken it a step further - I often pull out my fabrics and gaze at them, sometimes I 'pet' them ( this is normal right??!! haha) ( well maybe not actually PET them, but touch them with patterns in mind)I have fabrics that I purchased just because they asked me to because they are pretty.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I haven't bought any fabrics that does not feel right to my touch. I have given my Daughter fabrics because I really didn't like the color.
Otherwise I plan to keep it all until I go to the big quilting room in the sky.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I think that we have all purchased fabric at a yard sale or estate sale that we will never use but it is a learning experience. With experience comes knowledge.