Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Friendly Advise Needed >

Friendly Advise Needed

Friendly Advise Needed

Old 02-04-2016, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I agree with everyone above---make a sample/test block to see if your cutting and 1/4" gives you the correct size of the desired block. I will cut 5 or 6 blocks out and lay each uncut block on a paper plate and when I have time to sew one or two blocks then I just grab a plate and the pieces are ready to go.
I usually cut out all of my pieces at one time and I love your idea of paper plates. I will try it on my next quilt.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:27 AM

I make a test block, then usually cut the entire quilt to get that over with. I am very meticulous about labeling each block if they are different, in ZipLock baggies, or pieces if they are all the same. As I finish a block I pin a small Post-it always on the top left corner, signifying which block (I do a lot of applique), then assemble by rows on my design wall. I always cut the borders a wee bit long and measure to size once the top is completed and ironed.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am planning to make a scrappy quilt with lots of stars. This will be the first large quilt that I'm going to make. Since I'll have lots of pieces should I cut out one block at a time or the whole quilt at once? Also, how is the best way to organize a large project?
Make a sample block to see that it works. I then like to cut a certain amount and then assemble them and then cut more till I am done. You might decide some where along that this is not the pattern you really want to do and you do not want to be stuck with all the fabric cut.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I keep projects in progress in these Iris 3" thick Scrapbook Case that I bought @ JAF online. Design walls also helps keep me organized. (PS: the quilt shown in this box is done, I am sewing the binding as I write this)
I also "kit" my quilt that I am working on and put it in similar shaped boxes. (different brand and clear) I also put the pattern with it.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 AM

For me it depends on the pattern. I too do a test block. If there is repetition in a block then I will generally do a piece of a block over and over so I can chain piece. I'm working on a quilt now that has a variety of log cabin blocks in it so I am making all of type of block and doing all round 1 then all round 2 etc. I find it easier to keep track of things that way.

I use a folding cloths rack to hang my strips and keep them tidy along with starched pieces of fabric. Since the strips for this quilt were different lengths I used bull dog clips to keep the cut pieces together so if I was doing 12 blocks I would have 12 round 1 strips clipped together and put those strips on by chain piecing.

I find that I have greater accuracy when I don't stand for hours cutting strips and pieces as I get bored, tired and careless. If I break it up, cut some, sew some, etc it is better for my frame of mind.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I have to admit that I love star blocks/quilts. I made the mistake once to cut out an entire quilt, using 6" squares cut up for blocks, then after making one block decided to not make the quilt. My advice would be to make one block as you go along, either cut out the pieces, put them and the instructions in a zip lock bag (whatever would we do without them?), then proceed at your own pace, either completing each block or cutting out the blocks until the bag is full. I think that's the most logical way to do it. I speak from experience, as I just discovered 4 Valentine and Shamrock table runners and 2 wall hangings that are ready to be sandwiched, I wish I had just finished them at the time, especially since I also found pieces to make heart blocks, but didn't include enough fabric for a border. Oh well, guess a nice red binding will do.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM

Annie, I would follow Cindy Needham's advice--divide and conquer. To make a lot of stars, depending on the type of star you choose, do a lot of half square triangle blocks. Then lay them out in a 9 patch formation with a solid center block. Making half square triangle blocks can be quick and easy when using a method that makes 4 at a time. This makes for very quick blocks and looks great. Good luck. I hope to see the finished product. By the way have you SEEN the great stuff Cindy makes? I took a Craftsy class from her and use her instructions regularly. However, I have never made anything as beautiful as she can make.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM

I taught myself how to quilt & I cut one block at a time for the simple reason that I don't want to get careless as I cut the 15th piece of whatever and lose all the rest of my fabric planned for the project. Sometimes haste makes waste. I find it's better to just slow down and enjoy the whole process. Good luck however you choose to do it!!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:49 AM

I must live under a rock! I never thought to make a test block first....guess what I will be doing from now on! Thanks for that advise ladies.
Otherwise I cut mine all at once so that I have a squared cut edge to work on. Do you buy extra fabric if you cut a block at a time to allow for straightening the edge?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:51 AM

love those boxes!