Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
La Passacaglia #1 >

La Passacaglia #1

La Passacaglia #1

Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 AM

You have encouraged me to not do EPP. I too saw a picture of this type of quilt and I sent off for the book. I soon realized I was going to be dealing with small pieces. I did cut out enough papers for the first rosette but it was difficult for me to sew around the little pieces of paper. After seeing your post I decided to try sewing these little piece without the paper. So far so good. I am still working on the first rosette and this will be a long project. I am not sure I will make it but I am surprised to see that I can sew these little pieces together. I can sit in my easy chair and mark around the material and add the 1/4" seam line. As long as I have the seam line I can sew these together easy peasy. Good luck with yours and it looks awesome already.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by sinceresissy View Post
You have encouraged me to not do EPP. I too saw a picture of this type of quilt and I sent off for the book. I soon realized I was going to be dealing with small pieces. I did cut out enough papers for the first rosette but it was difficult for me to sew around the little pieces of paper. After seeing your post I decided to try sewing these little piece without the paper. So far so good. I am still working on the first rosette and this will be a long project. I am not sure I will make it but I am surprised to see that I can sew these little pieces together. I can sit in my easy chair and mark around the material and add the 1/4" seam line. As long as I have the seam line I can sew these together easy peasy. Good luck with yours and it looks awesome already.
Yes, it is really doable without EPP! IMO, EPP is just double the work... (and I'm speaking from experience - did a whole GFG that way!). I learnt a lot about piecing by hand from Jinny Beyer's book "Quiltmaking by Hand" which was my first quilt book and from which I concluded that one can do ANY quilt by hand!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 AM

Beautiful, the colors are lovely. I am just starting with choosing fabric and I'm having a hard time. I've been on line looking for bundles, so many out there I don't know which would be best for this type of project. Or should I just go to the store and start pulling what I like instead of a bundle set. What line of fabric did you use?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 AM

See, now I find hand piecing difficult for me...seams are not consistently 1/4", have a heck of a time at intersections. Even tried inklingo, but working with computer, printer, fabric on freezer paper was a downer for me. Whereas, EPP is a blast...I glue baste onto cardstock, ordered precut from PaperPieces, then sew together....no problem with seam allowances and joining intersections! For me anyway.......wish I could find a local group to sit and sew EPP with......I'm doing 2nd GFG now, have book patchwork of the crosses, and am hoping to find millefiori by Hammerstein at a " good" price somewhere......I do think hers..like what you are doing, could well be ideas from old cathedrals, palaces, etc., as she is in Europe....again, you are very talented and good eye for color, design....keep it up!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Irene C. View Post
Beautiful, the colors are lovely. I am just starting with choosing fabric and I'm having a hard time. I've been on line looking for bundles, so many out there I don't know which would be best for this type of project. Or should I just go to the store and start pulling what I like instead of a bundle set. What line of fabric did you use?
Sorry, I am not using "a line of fabric". I'm just pulling out of my stash whatever I think will go with what I've done so far (no real planning... ). I did shop some new fabric online, though, that I thought would go well for fussy cutting. I'll see how it grows and if I need to buy more fabric!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
See, now I find hand piecing difficult for me...seams are not consistently 1/4", have a heck of a time at intersections. Even tried inklingo, but working with computer, printer, fabric on freezer paper was a downer for me. Whereas, EPP is a blast...I glue baste onto cardstock, ordered precut from PaperPieces, then sew together....no problem with seam allowances and joining intersections! For me anyway.......wish I could find a local group to sit and sew EPP with......I'm doing 2nd GFG now, have book patchwork of the crosses, and am hoping to find millefiori by Hammerstein at a " good" price somewhere......I do think hers..like what you are doing, could well be ideas from old cathedrals, palaces, etc., as she is in Europe....again, you are very talented and good eye for color, design....keep it up!
Same here, love epp w/ whipped stitch it is fast and easy a breeze for me, but hand piecing w/ the running stitch I can't seem to master well. (I also had problems w/ the ladder stitch)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 AM

I love it.............keep us posted. Your fabric placements is brilliant. How did you learn to choose those?
It will surely win prizes.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Those are looking fabulous! I've thought about trying that but I'm not certain I would be brave enough to do it with out the papers! Great work!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:00 AM

I am just using stash material too. I am still working on the first rosette. I thought I was going to get it finished last night but I could see the outer ring was not going to be right so I looked closer and I will have to rip some of them apart and turn them so there is a point sticking out on top and not the bottom. Silly me. I have been marking my 1/4" seams for this one but if I were making a scrap quilt with just 2-1/2 squares or something easy I would not mark.
I think this is going to be fun. I do have two other projects I need to finish so will be switching around. I love to hop around. Ta
Old 02-18-2016, 07:20 AM
lue

Can we say WOW! Look forward to seeing the finished quilt! That's pretty amazing!