Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Workshops & Quilting Classes >

Workshops & Quilting Classes

Workshops & Quilting Classes

Old 03-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Have yet to go on a retreat. Too pricey for me. Classes at the LQS shops here are also pricey. One LQS has small retreats from 6p-3am and I'm not about to be out that late. I think tha is ridiculous. I just stick to the Craftsy classes and the YouTubes. I can eat a bowl of my favorite ice cream or box of chocolates and pause and proceed with the videos. I do this often when I don't like what's on the tv.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I tried to take a daytime class once and had a very bad experience with it. (Basically I taught the other girl how to sew blocks in the class the whole time we were there!) Never tried that again. I know not all classes are like that one, but sheesh! Give me a break! I paid good money to attend this. Besides, I hated dragging my machine and sewing things out of the house.

I agree with the ladies that take on-line classes or buy the book to learn something. It gives me the materials I need and more money for fabric. There is the utube videos and some other quilting sites have videos to watch and learn. I have always been a person to need quiet with no distractions to be able to understand instructions. So this works for me.

I used to subscribe to a few magazines and read the articles about construction and sewing/quiting. That helped me a lot in the beginning.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-05-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:12 PM

I usually do two or three classes a year. I have only gone to a retreat once. I do try and go to Quilt Canada when it's local, and I went to Paducah once and Houston once. This has been spread over several years (the bigger travel/dollar stuff).
I like to take classes locally, but there isn't much offered near me anymore. And our guild only does 2 or 3 classes/days a year.
I like the camaraderie of a group day of sewing and don't mind lugging my stuff to do it. I wish there was more around here, I would go more often.
I'm thinking of trying a "sit and sew" day at my house for a small group to see if it's an activity that could be sustainable on a more regular basis.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:49 PM

I belong to 2 guilds......the retreats are "sleep in your own bed" types....meaning close enough that you spend the 2 days sewing/talking/munching, then at end of day...leave your stuff, it is secure, and go home to zzzzzzz., park district is one venue, other is local fire house. One has monthly 1 day class...no charge, as "teacher" is one of the guild members who volunteers to "show/do" something...if you're not interested in doing the group thing you can still come and do your own thing........very relaxing, no stress, no extra $$$$$.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I go to two 3-4 day retreats a year. Both are very nice, catered meals on site in nice dining room, nice bedrooms, beautiful views. It's my rejuvenating time just for me. I go to as many classes and workshop that are within an hour driving time that I can. I guess I went to about nine last year. I use to be a member of three guilds but cut back to just one as the programs and workshops were overlapping each other. I use to think I won't go to that class or retreat or make that trip to a big quilt show, maybe next time. Then I realized there could very well not be a next time and one day I simply won't be able to go. I tell DH bye, see you in a few hours or a few days and off I go.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:51 PM

2 live ones. Most of my quilting education is online because my disability makes it hard to sit for long periods of time.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Classes at my LQS are just to darn pricy. I belong to 2 groups of ladies and have a teacher and each other to learn from. A few times a year we rent a hall and spend 2 days just quilting, talking, eating and having fun. If you know someone who belongs to an organization they may get a good price on renting the hall.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:54 PM

I have the exact answer as sewbizgirl. I have not taken a class and have not gone on a retreat. They seem to be very expensive. I do a pretty good job on our budget on all the other fabric and rulers and patterns and notions and interfacing and batting.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:38 PM

I was taking/participating in probably one class per year until this year. I already attended two and have another coming up in April. I do a lot of self-learning, but going to a class with a renowned instructor is exciting and inspiring. Two of my instructors this year are quilt artists. What I'm learning from them I couldn't teach myself and it would be more difficult, and take a lot longer, watching YouTube. Plus they share secrets of the trade which are priceless.

I haven't attended any retreats. Must say, I just haven't had the desire to do so. But I'm retired and have all the time I need to devote to my craft. I'm having a few ladies over to join me in my studio next week for a day of sewing though. I'm looking forward to a great time. (And no $ needed. ��)
Old 03-06-2016, 03:34 AM

I am fortunate to have a couple of wonderful and friendly LQS in my area and attend approximately 4 classes a year. In fact, I am taking a class today at my LQS on foundation paper piecing. However, since learning more about quilt guilds and discovering other sponsored events, I have taken more extensive classes on FMQ at MQX in New Hampshire and a variety of other classes held at our annual state-wide quilt show.

I have not yet been to a retreat but would go in a heart-beat if it fit into my busy work schedule.