Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
keeping my quilt top from puckering >

keeping my quilt top from puckering

keeping my quilt top from puckering

Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Yes, I always do.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:42 AM

I find if my stitch length when machine quilting is too short I get puckers. I use a 2.5 or 3.0 length.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gran28 View Post
I use spray basting and am not moving the quilt until I pin baste it. I do use lots of pins and usually do straight line quilting. My machine is flush with the top of the cabinet. I use a walking foot and wear gloves when quilting too. Maybe I am trying to keep it too taught. Thanks for your input.
I think tautness may be the problem. Exactly how you are getting the puckers? In the top only? Both top and backing? Are the puckers occurring when you cross another line of quilting?

If the puckers are happening when you cross another line of quilting, this means you are doing something to stretch or distort the fabric while you are quilting. Stretching and distortion are caused by how you are handling the quilt. It could be that you are stretching it too tightly (drum tight) between your hands as your walking foot. What you want to do with a walking foot is gently "feed" the quilt sandwich into the walking foot so the fabric isn't stretched. Holding the quilt up slightly in front of the foot helps prevent stretching as you quilt. Spray starching the top and backing will also help prevent this stretching of the fabric from handling.

I had the problem of puckers when crossing a quilting line at first. Starch helped a lot. I also learned to stop trying to manipulate the quilt so hard while sewing. I became much more gentle in how I handled the quilt sandwich after basting.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:02 PM

There is a fine line between "taut" and "too tight" which I see most of the comments pertain too. I believe you are pulling the backing too tight causing the front to end up too loose, which then causes puckers. It is a similar concept to tension on a sewing machine, balancing the top and bottom.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:36 PM

I've never had a pucker with this method of basting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ
Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM

All the above suggestions are great, but I would include SITD around your blocks and borders before quilting. In some cases this will stabilize everything so when you move the quilt, you are less likely to shift the layers. I would definitely use a walking foot on this part if you can. I do it on my mid-arm so don't, but if you are using a DSM it would be easier.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 PM

I am another fan of the elmers glue....no pins...I take the batting put it down on my ironing board put the glue in sections as I layer the top on top of the batting then I turn it and put the top on and glue and I iron it dry no movement and no pins in the way.....I even did a queen size on the picnic table outside.......works for me..
Old 03-08-2016, 12:16 PM

I second the glue basting. Also, I would use a walking foot.

Last edited by Flowergurl; 03-08-2016 at 12:19 PM.