Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM

I usually pick up a package when I'm at the quilt shop. I only use batting from Joanne's if it's a type I normally use, like Warm and Natural or an 80/20 one or a bamboo one. I tried their fusible batting (Fusiboo) and it was a stuck together mess. The Hobbs 80/20 fusible is a nicer batting to use, I think.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:11 PM

My preference is Quilters Dream, usually the cotton but for a couple of special items I used their polyester. Normally, I buy the packaged at my LQS. Sometimes I order online. I don't have any problems with wrinkles, etc. I open the package and spread it on my cutting table, sometimes over night, sometimes just a couple hours. It doesn't seem to matter. It is so soft and nice! JoAnn's doesn't carry this brand.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:24 PM

Packaged only. Just the though of a roll of batting and my cats scares me LOL! I buy Warm and Natural when they go on-sale at Joann's. That is my go-to batting for baby quilts since it washes beautifully. For grown-up things, I use DreamWool. I get that at my local quilt store, though I really should watch the Conmecting Threads sales better.

To get the wrinkles out, I just unfold it and put it in the dryer on a "de-wrinkle" cycle.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 PM

I use either Warm & Natural or Hobbs 80/20 mostly. I am still nursing a roll of W&N that I bought a few years ago and now that we have moved into a much smaller house I won't be doing that again. I usually buy a king package so I can cut it to size - if I make a twin quilt (or any size) the pre-packaged bats do not give me enough for the extra I need.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 AM

I buy both... rolls and packaged. Just like QuiltnLady1, I have been nursing a roll of W&N that I've owned for a couple of years... since I have been quilting more over the past two years, I purchased another roll at a quilt show last year (Hobbs 80/20 I believe) at an incredibly good price. Sometimes I purchase crib size batting so that I don't have to cut so much off my rolls in order to fit a baby blanket size.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:48 AM

I buy mine at Hancocks or JoAnn's by the roll with coupon and get the pre packaged at Michaels with a coupon also. I buy the cotton, warm & natural most of the time, except for the one from Michaels's, which is a mix.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:46 AM

I used to get mine at JoAnne's and especially if I had a coupon as I would purchase a bolt. Since moving to a small town with no JoAnne's in sight I went to my local fabric store to see what they could do for me a nd they ordered a bolt and gave me a nice discount. Thought it was the same W& N but found later it was actually Quilters' Dream 80/20 or 70/30 (whatever it is they offer). Anyway, it looked and felt about the same and I've been using it ever since. They no longer offer the discount for the bolt so have had to look online for sites with batting on sale.............all my quilts are made as gifts so not looking to make cheaply but still need to look for discounts where I can as I'm retired and on a pension.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I generally buy W&N battings when on sale at JoAnn's, and if DH comes along, I get another 15% because he was in the military; although if I have a coupon for 15-20% off at JoAnn's, they do not recognize the additional 15%, it make sense. I have sometimes gotten W&N batting from Connecting Threads or Hancock's of Paducah, where you can get a good price for buying more than one batting at a time, and save money that way.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Claire123 View Post
Do you generally get your quilt batting from a quilt shop or from a place like JoAnne's where you can get a deal with a coupon or on sale? If you've done both what difference have you noticed?
Also, what kind have you used - 100% cotton, wool blends, poly/cotton? How do you remove creases & wrinkles?
I have used once a wool batting - probably quilters dream brand. Purchased from Hancock's of Paducah. It was fabulous but very warm to work with and I want to use it more but have about 25 yards of W & N on rolls that must be used first. The recipient of the quilt with the wool batting loves the warmth she receives and it quilts wonderfully.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 PM

I buy Warm & Plush batting on a roll from Walmart.com (free delivery). I personally like it better than Quilter's Dream that is sold at my LQS.
I plan to hand quilt my nephew's quilt with Hobb's Organic Cotton so I can let you know then what I think of the difference.