Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping for Long Arm but no dealers in my state >

Shopping for Long Arm but no dealers in my state

Shopping for Long Arm but no dealers in my state

Old 04-04-2016, 08:30 AM

While at the quilt show, check out the Innova booth. Their machines are easy to self maintain and only a phone call away if you run into trouble. My dealer is in the next state so a distance. Any time I've had an issue, usually operator error, I've only had to put in a call to Michael and he has walked me thru. As I have the upgraded tension system, no oiling the felt pads and just need to add a drop or two of oil between bobbin changes and cleaning out the bobbin area during the bobbin changes. Other than that I haven't had much problems. I did have one issue though which took a while to figure out what the problem was and who was responsible in repairing/replacing it but ABM/Innova came thru like a champ and replaced the part. No trouble since then. I've had my machine since 2012 with a 3rd party robotic system. I love my machine system.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Amanda_Strand View Post
When test driving them did you notice much of a difference in the function and preformance of the machine/frame between the two brands? What were some of the additional costs with Gammill? HMQS is a month away and im excited haha but it helps so much to hear from owners too before I go
I loved the Gammill. It was all the extra costs and the salesman himself that put me off. Shipping, delivery and set up was a huge expense that I didn't have with HQ. Plus the salesman told me I would have to take a 2 day class(at my own expense clear across the state) before they would even set up my machine. That and the fact that 3 times I asked him straight up for a final price, how much is this going to cost me? and 3 times he kept giving me the salesman fast talk without telling me what I wanted to know. I was put off and walked away. It's Gammills loss because I had cash and was ready to spend it. I told him that but I guess he didn't believe me.
My second choice behind Gammill was Handi Quilter. I found a great dealer here close to home. No shipping, delivery or set up fees, no extra costs for training and I'm happy with my choice, no regrets.

Cari
Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 AM

I have a longarm table and plan on getting a Block Rocket for about $ 3200. It is only a 16 in throat space but that should do a 12 in block.
Just cannot afford the cost for a long arm machine.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I think just about any machine you can probably find bad reviews on line. I have heard good things about HQ machines.

But I am also a happy Innova owner. I think a good dealer is worth their weight in gold for setup and installation. I just did a dealer search on Innova and Renae Haddidan of Quilts on the corner is in Sandy, Utah (near Salt Lake). Wow you couldn't ask for a better more well versed dealer/teacher than Renae! Once your machine is set up and if you opt for training I don't see you really needing them unless something goes catastrophically wrong. These machines are very straight forward and mechanical so you can do a lot of repairs and trouble shooting yourself, like reset timing. ABM is good about talking you through issues on the phone and they always call back quickly and are available 365/24/7. My dealer is almost 2 hours from me.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Amanda_Strand View Post
Which HQ do you have? Do you primarily just quilt for yourself or do you quilt as a business? Is it easy to maintain? Have you had any issues with tension or with drag?
I have the Avante. I've had it for almost 2 years. I don't quilt for hire, just myself, friends & family. I haven't had any tension issues. This is how I set my tension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Not sure what you mean by 'drag'. The machine moves smoothly and evenly on the frame. In order for this to happen the frame needs to be square and level. This is where I was so happy I had it installed as they spent quite a bit of time getting it true. I do not have a robotic setup, I enjoy hand guided too much.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM

Same here Amanda, I'm shopping for a longarm.
Last month I went to Cody, WY (Friends & Company quilt shop) and took a 3 hour class on their HandiQuilters - the Avante and Infinity models. They require that you take the class before you can rent time on the machines, but I took the class because I think I want to buy an HQ, and they are the closest dealer. They offered a good sale price, lots of training, and free delivery/set-up. I live over 100 miles from Cody. I was very impressed with the machines - the use of it along with their support and warranty, but am still undecided cuz it's so much $$$.
Wish I could go to Utah with you :0/.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by TinkerQuilts View Post
Same here Amanda, I'm shopping for a longarm.
Last month I went to Cody, WY (Friends & Company quilt shop) and took a 3 hour class on their HandiQuilters - the Avante and Infinity models. They require that you take the class before you can rent time on the machines, but I took the class because I think I want to buy an HQ, and they are the closest dealer. They offered a good sale price, lots of training, and free delivery/set-up. I live over 100 miles from Cody. I was very impressed with the machines - the use of it along with their support and warranty, but am still undecided cuz it's so much $$$.
Wish I could go to Utah with you :0/.
What is their price point on the avante? I called a dealer close to me and the price seemed good but they prefered they have me set it up rather than them come and set it up and that made me nervous.. I want it to be square and level. They are only about 1 hour 15 min from me. I LOVE Friends & Co. I could spend days in their quilt shop!!! The are about 5-6 hours away from me though
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=Cari
The dealer makes all the difference. I bought a Gammill 3 years ago at a show from a dealer 3 hours away. No hard sell. Wasn't required to take any classes before the delivery and set-up (included in the price. The HQ dealer at the same show would drop ship the machine and frame and I would have to do the set up unless I was willing to pay an extra $1000. Kept telling me it was easy to set up. Not if you don't know what you're doing. They were half the distance away). My dealer delivered, set up and spent several hours at my home training me before he left. Only problem I've had with the machine was operator induced and dealer diagnosed it over the phone. I did go to the store for the included day-long class but it wasn't a requirement. They suggested I play with the machine for a few weeks before I took the class and I'm glad I did because by then I was familiar with the LA itself so I could relax and pay attention to what they were teaching.
Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM

i agree with Feline Fanatic that once set up, you won't be having to have face-to-face with your dealer all that often (or ever?). I have a Gammill, bought used after a guild friend died and her family decided to sell. When I was shopping, had wanted a Gammill but the price was higher than I was prepared to spend, so was looking at others. Innova and then APQS were my next choices. I have had it for 3.5 years and during that time have made tech calls on several occasions and had great response. I know that Gammill uses a system of dealers and then also reps--reps don't have stores but work with dealers as more an area rep. Mine also does "housecalls" and have my first in 3.5 years (just for a maintenance call) next week. Definitely take a maintenance course--long arm machines do require you to feel comfortable with routine maintenance and tension issues. Things I really love about my Gammill are the channel locks and the M (big) bobbins--whatever brand you purchase. Great idea about going to show to check it out and talk with dealers--and do ask if there is a closer rep to you.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Banned

I guess it must depend on the dealers/reps themselves. Both of the local HQ dealers here in my city would have given me free shipping/delivery/set up/training, the reason I chose one over the other is because one is retiring and I'd end up having to go to the other for service anyway, so I bought from her. I also got electric channel locks among other things and my Avante still cost less than the Vision2 would have. The Avante, 12ft. frame, channel locks, ruler base, glide foot, extra hand wheel and a ruler were a little over 10K.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 04-04-2016 at 10:19 PM.