Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection... >

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM

My feelings exactly!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:02 PM

Thank you for reminding me!! I'm a reforming Perfectionist. LOL I really needed this reminder today. I've been thinking that maybe I should just actually give up on quilting. Truthfully I wouldn't because it fascinates me... I just needed a good reminder that finished is definitely better than perfect!! And.... Perfect isn't necessarily the best thing!! Everyone's responses have bolstered my sagging spirits and given me much encouragement.
Very timely posting! Thank you!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 PM

great thread! Someone on the Board has a quote that basically says striving for perfection is stifling of creativity, but striving for excellent allows you to be creative---wish I could find that quote again.

Little humor along these lines--I'm mentoring some beginner quilters in a local High School FACS class (formerly known as Home Ec) and one is, to use her terms "OCD" about being perfect and has unsewn many things that I've encouraged her won't be noticed. Last week while working on her machine quilting she announced "quilting sure has made be much less OCD"! We all just laughed.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:56 PM

This is such a great thread! Sometimes I need to remind myself that when it comes to quilting, my goal is to have fun. Period. I don't want to be Queen of Quilts, so there's no reason to stress.

Related to this thread, I read a wonderful quote from Michael J. Fox: "I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for; perfection is God's business."
Old 04-05-2016, 01:10 AM

Wonderful posts. As a new-bee I am taking this all to heart, as my ideas are bigger than my skills...yes, we are reaching for the stars here..and the reaching is the important part!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 AM

Great thread. Perfection is overrated. The love of quilting and the love for the person receiving the quilt is truly what it is all about. I learned this lesson when life threw me a huge curve ball.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 AM

I try to be perfect. It did not help that as a chemotherapy nurse, if I did not try for perfection I was in big trouble. My DIL is the one who let me know that I am my own worst critic. I have learned to try and relax and recently attended a sewing retreat. I was the oldest there (65) and just a few quilters. It was wonderful! They did a project to work on our comfort level. Paint a canvas then add a message, in any medium, that spoke to us. Usually I'd be out the door. We are not perfect, we never will be, we need to just enjoy the ride. Let's just enjoy our hobby and have fun! This is a great topic and love the comment! Thank you!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 AM

A few years ago I decided that my motto would be one of my father in laws favorite sayings: It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse and that's the only kind I ride. My husband came in last night to look at what I was doing. I was bemoaning about my mistakes. He said one word: galloping. That put me back into a good frame of mind. And he was right. I looked at the quilt this morning and it's fine.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM

I have a friend who says scratch it and get over it. I use that as my motto when trying to be "perfect" in my quilting. I will never be perfect only God can be, but I can strive to do the best I can. I do not point out my mistakes. If they don't know they are there, then I can continue only journey with this fabulous hobby.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:34 PM

If I thought that every quilt had to be perfect, I would never have got into quilting! It's the joy of the journey from start to finish that makes me want to start a new quilt! Never have I made a "perfect" quilt, I'm not sure that there is one out there to this day!