Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microwave Bowl Holders >

Microwave Bowl Holders

Microwave Bowl Holders

Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I heard a few years ago that these things can catch on fire. Is that because people didn't use the 100% cotton?
Yes it is. You have to make sure it is all cotton, fabric, batting, thread, etc. I probably wouldn't put mine in the microwave but have it right there to hold the bowl when it comes out. That's just me. They even sell a batting that says its for baked potatoes, bowles etc. Just make sure everything is 100% cotton. Some forget about the thread. Even if its all cotton and you put it in too long or it doesn't have enough food/moisture in the food it could still catch fire.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Yes it is. You have to make sure it is all cotton, fabric, batting, thread, etc. I probably wouldn't put mine in the microwave but have it right there to hold the bowl when it comes out. That's just me. They even sell a batting that says its for baked potatoes, bowles etc. Just make sure everything is 100% cotton. Some forget about the thread. Even if its all cotton and you put it in too long or it doesn't have enough food/moisture in the food it could still catch fire.
Scary! I will stress to all buyers not to use it for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time. I think they are so cute just as bowls themselves... maybe to hold candy or something else.

I have 10 made and 11 more cut out to finish today and tomorrow morning. Then I will take them to the "Art Stroll" tomorrow evening. Hope they are big sellers.

For the time involved, plus my nice fabrics, I really need to get $10 for these... but I can't see people paying more than $8. So I'll ask $8.

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions and offering advice! I really appreciate it.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:54 AM

I did not read all the posts, but be sure to use the cotton batting with NO scrim. I have made potato bags with this and have no problems....the bags stay in the microwave usually for 8-12 minutes with no problems. Of course I never leave the microwave going and move to the next room and I turn the bag over half way through cooking.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:16 PM

I have made these many times and never a problem. I always make sure it is a 100% cotton for everything. I use the wrap and zap batting. They make great gifts, done right of course.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, that's what I got... Wrap and Zap. Also 100% cotton fabrics and thread. Now I just need to make some cute tags for them and I'm good to go!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Wow... sold over half of what I brought... about a dozen bowl holders! It was a very small show so I thought that was pretty good. People just loved these things!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:24 AM

this doesn't address the posting about how to charge for the microwave bowls. Just wanted to comment on the ones that I've made ...

Last year I purchased the Warm & Zap on a bolt from Amazon, best price after comparing Joann's etc. As I ran low I used 1 of the warm / zap and one warm & natural. This year I only used warm & natural. When I gave them as gifts I included directions NOT to use more than 2 minutes cuz they might catch fire.

No one has told me they've had them burn. One 'branch' of my family even uses them as ice-cream bowls.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by tuppermern View Post
I saw them at a craft consignment place in Ohio last week. One person was selling them for $7.99----another place was $8.99.
just curious where in Ohio, hubby and I were just there visiting family in the Akron / Canton/ Greentown area. Loved the Autumn leaves which we do not see here in CA area that I live.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:33 PM

I wash and scrub a potato, roll in was paper and zap it when done I slip it into a large pot holder glove to finish cooking. when done roll, it softly by hand to break up then open cut and stuff with toppings. [no fire to start]
Old 11-10-2016, 08:13 PM

You only need one fat quarter of fabric, but the batting is expensive. I used a layer of potato batting and a layer of heavy cotton flannel. Stands up nicely, but I will wash one before I make too many. I plan on $8.

BTW, I am one who had a potato bag catch on fire. I purchased it at the quilt show and asked about the contents. The answers were good, but it went up in flames almost as soon as I put it in the microwave.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 11-10-2016 at 08:16 PM.