Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can you tell if fabric is 100% cotton? >
  • Can you tell if fabric is 100% cotton?

• Can you tell if fabric is 100% cotton?

Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Default Can you tell if fabric is 100% cotton?

I bought a roll of white fabric at an estate sale today. It has no labels. After washing some of it, I think it may be a cotton/poly blend. Either that, or it's a really good cotton, as it's really smooth. Is there a way to tell?

bkay
    Old 04-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Even really good cotton should be wrinkly. If it doesn't wrinkle when you scrunch it, it's not cotton.
    Old 04-08-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by bkay
    I bought a roll of white fabric at an estate sale today. It has no labels. After washing some of it, I think it may be a cotton/poly blend. Either that, or it's a really good cotton, as it's really smooth. Is there a way to tell?

bkay
    There's a "burn test" although I don't know all the details--imagine you could google it. Basically a blend will burn/melt faster than a cotton.
    Old 04-08-2016, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, google 'fabric burn test' to get a chart. Basically, you burn a small piece of the fabric, extinguish the flame and you can usually determine the content.
    The quick check is cut a small piece, set it alight, run it under water. If the burnt edge has lumps & bumps it's a manmade fiber, like polyester. The bumps are because it melted a bit. A clean smooth edge indicates a natural fiber, like cotton.
    Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 PM

I can almost always tell when I have a poly cotton fabric by the way it smells when I iron it. Could be because I use a hot iron, and you are not suppose to use it that hot on blends. I bought a large box of scraps from an estate sale, and found quite a bit of blends in it.
    Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 PM

It's possible that it was treated with resin. There have been report of some resin-treated cottons that stayed maintained their low wrinkle character through a few washes.

Here's the Burn Test that I use: http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/Burn-Test-Chart.html
    If you suspect it may contain synthetic or manufactured fibers, be sure to conduct the test in a well-ventilated area as the fumes can be hazardous. I hold it with tweezers over Aluminum foil that I fold up like an open box.

Cotton also rips easier than synthetic and manufactured fabrics (or blends) but that's a lot less exact than the burn test.

If it's newer, it could be rayon or a cotton-rayon blend. I've been seeing more & more of those lately; rayon looks & behaves similarly to pre-washed commercial cotton fabric. To tell rayon apart from cotton, burn a scrap of fabric you know is cotton first, then burn the mystery fabric.
    Old 04-08-2016, 08:57 PM

When I volunteered at a store, we had to cut up clothing for rags and they had to be 100% cotton. If there wasn't a tag to prove otherwise, we poured a little water on the fabric and if it soaked in, it was cotton. It seemed to be an accurate test.
    Old 04-08-2016, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by bkay

bkay
    I always take a match or lighter and burn a tiny edge of the fabric. If it curls up and leaves ANY lines it's not 100% cotton. Burnt cotton will just be like dust to touch. This method works every time.
    Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 PM

I usually do a scrunch test in a shop and burn test at home when I'm not sure. I'm interested in trying the water test.
    Old 04-09-2016, 03:08 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, there is the old reliable burn test. I watched my best friend do it many decades ago.