Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How come I can't "grasp it?" >

How come I can't "grasp it?"

How come I can't "grasp it?"

Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 AM

Here are a few different videos to watch. Hope one of them help you to "grasp" the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rners+quilting
Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 AM

THANK YOU----ALL OF YOU---You're ALL wonderful!!!!!!!!! I watched each and every one of the tutorials that was suggested by you, and FINALLY, I've got it!!! I figured out AFTER watching them all and then going back to my original Jenny Doan tutorial, that I'd cut at 90* instead of the 45* like I thought I had. Stupid is as stupid does. I sooooo very much appreciate ALL of you for being here for me. Sorry, but I do not have a camera to take pictures, or else I'd show you my stupidity up close and personal. I think I'll change my name to stupidgrma instead of grmamrtha. It's most appropriate for me. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:04 AM

Easy Peasy Mitered corners - Perfect every time.....No Measuring required,

Place your intended mitering fabric on the top of your bottom fabric,

1. At the farest side away from the quilt corner of your mitering fabric - where the two fabrics intersect, with your scissors make a tiny snip in your fabrics at that point, snipping both top and bottom fabrics.

2. From the corner point of your quilt (where you will be adding your mitering fabric make a mark on the top and bottom fabrics, or place a pin on both fabrics.

3. Now match up the pin to the snip and leave 1/4 inch from your intended sewing line as seam allowance. Draw a line from the pin to the snip (diagonally on the reverse side of your fabric - this is your sewing line) be certain as you will be cutting off the excess fabric.

4. Check twice before you make your final cut.....therefore, summary of steps

1. place fabric one over the other , at outside corner - cut tiny snip at point of outside intersection where fabrics meet ,

2. insert a pin on fabrics at quilt corner where your seam for mitered corner starts, draw sewing line, from quilt corner to snip on fabrics to be mitered
- this will be your sewing line.

(NOTE: REMEMBER TO leave 1/4 inch AWAY FROM THE DRAWN SEWING LINE - this is your cutting line) When you are starting to sew your seam for your mitered corner , be sure to start 1/4 inch from the edge at the quilt corner of the fabric where you have it attached to your quilt.

then cut off excess fabric...and sew up seam.[ATTACH=CONFIG]547398[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547399[/ATTACH] I have used this method for 20 years of quilting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030041.jpg  Mitered corners - perfect every time.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	547398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitered Corners - perfect everytime 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	547399  
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by grmamrtha1 View Post
THANK YOU----ALL OF YOU---You're ALL wonderful!!!!!!!!! I watched each and every one of the tutorials that was suggested by you, and FINALLY, I've got it!!! I figured out AFTER watching them all and then going back to my original Jenny Doan tutorial, that I'd cut at 90* instead of the 45* like I thought I had. Stupid is as stupid does. I sooooo very much appreciate ALL of you for being here for me. Sorry, but I do not have a camera to take pictures, or else I'd show you my stupidity up close and personal. I think I'll change my name to stupidgrma instead of grmamrtha. It's most appropriate for me. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
Nah, we've all been there. Glad you figured it out.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:07 AM

I second the recommendation to measure before cutting!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 AM

My "cheater" way to do miters corners is to make a HST cornerstone . After the quilt is quilted you are not really able to see the seam. If using striped fabric it ti easy to match the stripe or pattern just be careful how you cut.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I can't see the difference between mitering corners on a rectangle or a square. Both have right angles at the corners. Am I missing something?
I was wondering the same thing dunster?