Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
White sheets instead of white quilting fabric? >

White sheets instead of white quilting fabric?

White sheets instead of white quilting fabric?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 AM

folks have used sheets for years. the problem is that 'good' sheets have a high thread count and can be difficult to use. So, the lower quality sheet is often better!!
Old 04-23-2016, 12:58 PM

I make many scrap quilts for a home where homeless people sleep. To save money I have used mixtures of poly, new cotton fabric, sheets and even some jersey all in one quilt. I do use a lot of cotton sheets, and I have mixed Batik's with cotton too. I use Dream Green batting.

Here is what I want to say. I wash everything for shrinkage first. This way the cotton piece won't shrink along side of a poly piece. My quilts all come out great, and are sturdy and washable. The poly batting doesn't shrink either, so my quilts are stable. (I even use new quilting cotton along with the poly etc. but wash it for shrinkage first.)

About shrinkage. I learned from an expert. The shrinking takes place in a hot dryer mostly from the POUNDING. A hot steam iron won't shrink the cotton. So, I put new cotton fabric through gentle-hand wash with no detergent (to save money.) I just use the rinse cycle. Then the most important is the hot dryer for as long as it takes.

Of course sheets are laundered with detergent -- the whole nine yards.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:42 PM

I use Walmart cotton sheets for backing sometimes -- haven't noticed any major problems. I have some old cotton sheets from my mom, but they are too heavy to use for backing. Costco has good prices on flannel sheets in the fall/winter.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

In my very first quilting class, the instructor told us that using sheets in our quilts, especially for backings is what she used on her quilts. I have used sheets on occasion with no problems, although mostly on backings. I would just check the "feel" of the sheet just like you would fabric from any LQS.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

If I could find 180 - 200 count cotton sheets I would certainly use them. I have checked around and not found any.
There must be a lot of quilters around this area and they must be on here.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Melspoon View Post
Love this conversation. I had heard years ago that sheets should not be used in piecing or backing and thought that was a "rule." However knowing that so many other experienced quilters are using them with no problems makes me excited to re-think that position. I can't wait to try this for myself.
Ditto.... Does anyone have a suggestion or comment on what thread count should or shouldn't be used? For some reason I recall a post that the thread count should be similar to your quilt top fabric... is that 200 or even higher?
Old 04-24-2016, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

I have used sheets frequently and find them somewhat as good or better quality than quilting store fabrics.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I think they work fine as long as they are only cotton....don't think the permapress ones would work too well....So far I haven't used any, but I have friends that do and they are quite happy with them.....but they only use cotton. That's important.......
Those quilts I made that were used on the boat (see post 26 above) were a poly blend. They worked very well, were beautiful and are still around. There is no reason not to use the poly if you have it. It works.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 AM

Does anyone use a Janome 12000? Do you like it? What about Bernina 830?
Old 04-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Ditto.... Does anyone have a suggestion or comment on what thread count should or shouldn't be used? For some reason I recall a post that the thread count should be similar to your quilt top fabric... is that 200 or even higher?
Typically quilting cotton is around 140 thread count. Batiks are around 180. The lower thread count makes it easier to get the thread to sink nicely into the fabric with a standard quilting needle. With the higher thread count, the thread is likely to sit a bit higher on the surface of the fabric and you may find you benefit from using either a Microtex or Topstitch needle that are extra sharp to get through the tinier spaces in denser weave fabrics (like 200). I really wouldn't recommend going higher than 200 if you have a choice. Higher thread counts don't breathe as readily and can become very hot & sweat-drenched in all but the coldest climates. They also are quite a bit heavier, especially if you are also quilting with cotton thread.