Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil Thread for quilting??? >

Aurifil Thread for quilting???

Aurifil Thread for quilting???

Old 04-26-2016, 11:20 AM

Good idea about the stitching of the name. I will put it in a sashing.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 AM

I do FMQ and I have used Aurifil with good results. My Babylock Quest Plus likes it.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:52 PM

"Be sure to put his name on it (ideally stitched, not just on a label) as I know a couple of people on my dorm floor had their quilts stolen. One found her quilt, but couldn't prove it was hers because the label was cut off. "

I made a quilt and not only attached a label, but wrote his name when quilting, in the quilting, and on tiny spots in the quilt with a pen. You can place initials or even a name in a flower, etc. with a permanent ink pen. It is not noticeable to most, but there if you need it.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:48 PM

I fmq on my janome 6600 using Aurifil for the first time on the quilt I just finished. I loved it.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:58 AM

Bernina, Janome and Featherweight all like the Aurafill. I use nothing else because other threads seem to cause much more lint in machines.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
Bernina, Janome and Featherweight all like the Aurafill. I use nothing else because other threads seem to cause much more lint in machines.
That's interesting, I'm using a large spool of Aurifil now that was fine at first, but about halfway through I started noticing that it had become extremely linty and there were numerous weak areas that started showing up. Since I've been using it for piecing it's not really a problem, but it is annoying to have it break and then have to wind off a bit to get past bad spots before rethreading my machine.

Rob
Old 04-27-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
That's interesting, I'm using a large spool of Aurifil now that was fine at first, but about halfway through I started noticing that it had become extremely linty and there were numerous weak areas that started showing up. Since I've been using it for piecing it's not really a problem, but it is annoying to have it break and then have to wind off a bit to get past bad spots before rethreading my machine.

Rob
Unless it was exposed to the elements, I would contact the seller & ask for a replacement. If I didn't get an answer from them, I'd write Aurifil USA. Aurifil thread should be consistent quality all the way through.

Personally, I sometimes wonder how well some shops care for their thread. By me all but one shop keep their Aurifil wrapped in plastic so it stays clean & comes with all the information about when the thread was made. I've had no problems with thread from the 4 shops that keep threads wrapped nor from online dealer Hawthorne Threads (which also sends plastic wrapped Aurifil). I've had 2 partial bum spools, both from the one shop. No problems since I stopped buying thread from them.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:03 AM

I almost exclusively use 50wt Aurifil to piece and quilt with. I have never had a problem.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:29 PM

I love Aurifil 50wt for piecing AND quilting. It's all I use
Old 04-28-2016, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Unless it was exposed to the elements, I would contact the seller & ask for a replacement. If I didn't get an answer from them, I'd write Aurifil USA. Aurifil thread should be consistent quality all the way through.

Personally, I sometimes wonder how well some shops care for their thread. By me all but one shop keep their Aurifil wrapped in plastic so it stays clean.... I've had 2 partial bum spools, both from the one shop. No problems since I stopped buying thread from them.
Bree were your bum spools ok at first? The thing that's strange about this one is that the problems didn't show up until I'd used half of it. I can't see how that would have anything to do with the way the LQS stored them. I would think it indicated a manufacturing problem.

Rob