Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Play Mats >

Play Mats

Play Mats

Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 AM

Default Play Mats

I want to make a little boy's play mat for a birthday present for a 2 year old. Has anyone made one and do you have recommendations/suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:20 AM

I made one using a cute road panel. I wanted it to be heavier so used Warm and Natural as a batting and backed it with a lightweight denim. I just did a simple echo quilting along the roads and buildings. It went to a pair of twin boys and they have had great fun driving their little cars along the roadways.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

I agree with using a panel as the main portion of the quilt. Bug fabric has a good selection:
http://www.bugfabric.com/fabric/pane...s-borders.html
Old 05-13-2016, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I agree with using a panel as the main portion of the quilt. Bug fabric has a good selection:
http://www.bugfabric.com/fabric/pane...s-borders.html
Lots of panels, but I only found one playmat at Bug Fabrics.

I made one playmat to donate. Just made it like a regular quilt with no special treatment. It was a 'construction zone' with roads and I gave a little bag of construction vehicles to go with it.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

My friend also did the car quilt and her grandson has fun driving is car on the roads. I don't know if she used a pattern, most likely not. she is just that type of quilter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Meredith's Road quilt.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	959.8 KB
ID:	549911  
Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM

check out Northcott Fabrics website--they have a series of 4 panels that are perfect for a little boy play mat--2 city/roads, ones an airport and the other a harbor and they all "fit" together.

Also, I've made round,reversable ones with my 10 degree ruler--if the child is older you can run a cotton cording through rings on the outside so that they can leave toys in middle and pull the cord to become a closure/handle--but do not do that with little kids that could get hung up in cord!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:13 PM

I did an ISpy quilt with black sashing. On the black sashing I did big stitch quilting to make the white line on "roads." Then I made bean bags with matching squares so they could play a throwing match game. A 2 year old could just put the matching bean bag on the square and then later throw then to match.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:56 AM

I made a play may for each grandson. One was train theme and the other was cars. For a "batting," I used something unconventional. I used 100% cotton mattress pads. Why? Because I wanted more cushioning for those little knees and I thought they would be more durable/sturdy than regular batting. Yes, it was a bit of a pain to quilt but I didn't have to quilt very densely since the pads were already "quilted". Those pads are 5-6 years old now and still in good shape. I sewed fabric printed like train tracks around the outside edge of one and pavement colored fabric (with satin stitch stripes) on the other so the boys would have a track for their toys. and yes, Grandma included a couple of trains/cars with the play mats.

Last edited by Novice.for.now; 05-14-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:04 PM

I have used Thomas the train fabric for boys and princess fabric for girls. Also sewed à "pocket" for the trains or princesses at one end of the playmat. Sewed a ribbon on it. After playing with the mat the toys go into the pocket and the mat is rolled up and tied with the ribbon. Would work with "army" guys, dinosaurs, etc. Fast and fun to make.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:05 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you are interested in the Northcott fabric, it is called "Connector Playmat". Available from lots of stores.