Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 16 - OverAchievers - 2 month group >

Boom 16 - OverAchievers - 2 month group

Boom 16 - OverAchievers - 2 month group

Old 05-18-2016, 04:31 PM

Don't you have a few more blocks coming from GT in orange? I think I recall there being 3 packets for GT with orange. I think white sashing would really set off the orange but color is not my strength. Maybe white sashing with orange cornerstones?
Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I laid out the orange block along with the Carpenters Star ...Im still thinking..It needs some sashing...the middle is equal to 2 blocks sewn together but I want it a little bigger.. I dont like this part of the process. I have more of the orange in the star but I think that would be too much orange. I have enough of my orange to make four or more blocks if i need to. My orange has blue, yellow, rust, green black in it or a grey would be soft too...I think Ill think on it some more!

Love your baby quilt Jaba!! Cant wait to see the Flintstones one!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:37 PM

There was a method to my madness Billi, yep now you see why. And The strip across the back is all I had left. Then I used some of the owls that you sent me.
Joan if you have enough of your fabric, make 4 more blocks to the bottom. Then maybe audition a brown for about an inch or 1 1/2" border all the way around. If you still have enough you could do a ribbon border of 4 or 6" and you'd end up with your quilt being about 57" x 81". If you need it wider just use wider borders on each side.....just a thought.
Didn't get a chance to start on the jungle today, quilted this one instead, but will tackle those tomorrow. Thanks for doing such a good job on "our" quilt ladies, I like the way it turned out.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:04 PM

I think I might have quilt block envy.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:07 PM

I know of one coming with the three month...maybe 2...I hope. Ill probably wait until I get those back then lay them out again.. I think I want it a little bigger so that means some type of sashing or borders, esp on the sides..ANY ideas is appreciated because Im not fond of sashing and bordering. I do love the ribbon border pattern I have.hmmmmmm
lots of decisions in quilting isnt there!! LOL
Old 05-18-2016, 05:23 PM

Jaba your top is so cute. I to love how you made some with the yellow gives it an added boost.

Joan I am making 4 additional blocks also and haven't decided on my sashing either. Don't have a center medallion like yours.

Was on my feet way to long today then hubby and I ran to Cosco. Paying the price big time tonight.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I laid out the orange block along with the Carpenters Star ...Im still thinking..It needs some sashing...the middle is equal to 2 blocks sewn together but I want it a little bigger.. I dont like this part of the process. I have more of the orange in the star but I think that would be too much orange. I have enough of my orange to make four or more blocks if i need to. My orange has blue, yellow, rust, green black in it or a grey would be soft too...I think Ill think on it some more!

Love your baby quilt Jaba!! Cant wait to see the Flintstones one!

Very pretty love the center medallion. What if you bordered the medallion with a 6" border all the way around that will make it equal to 6 blocks sewn together. Then surround it with blocks and another 6" border that give you a 72" square but only takes 16 blocks. you could manipulate the final border to make it not square but a rectangle by making the side borders 3 or 4 inches and the top and bottom 6 still. a

As far as color you are on your own I go straight to white. if you decide on white I would appliqué or embroider some flowers or something on the final border.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Very pretty love the center medallion. What if you bordered the medallion with a 6" border all the way around that will make it equal to 6 blocks sewn together. Then surround it with blocks and another 6" border that give you a 72" square but only takes 16 blocks. you could manipulate the final border to make it not square but a rectangle by making the side borders 3 or 4 inches and the top and bottom 6 still. a

As far as color you are on your own I go straight to white. if you decide on white I would appliqué or embroider some flowers or something on the final border.

Or you could use white for the inner 6 inch border and orange for the outer one
Old 05-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Just a thought for you Joanelizbay, why not try a little color for the sashing like a white/yellow that will bring out the flowers in your feature fabric. NOT a lot of yellow, but a soft white/yellow gray tone. Something like a grunge I think they call it. This way it would lessen the intensity of the orange and give it a bit more balance. Since your center is a medallion, I would then do 2" sashing around it, split off the four corners with the 2", sew the two blocks together that are the centers around your medallion to keep the square look. Then follow up with the zinger the same color as sashing around the whole quilt in 2" finished, then you can do a border of the orange. It would help feature each block with the white background and give the quilt some balance. Just a thought.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:03 AM

Finished this one today from the other fabric I sent out for this group. Thanks ladies for your help. Put the "ocean" fabric on the back for her own salt water aquarium (her Daddy has a beautiful one)[ATTACH=CONFIG]550455[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550456[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	550455   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	550456  
Old 05-21-2016, 02:32 PM

Beautiful quilt, Jaba. Your little is going to love it!