Scam

Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

We have gotten all but the IRS. Usually we just hang up. One time when the fellow said Windows I said, well I have a Mac. (Which I really do) He hung up. We are most bothered by the recorded Rachel from Cardholder services. There is nothing wrong with your account, blah blah blah. We gave up the house phone when we moved and she has found us on the cell. We normally don't answer but sometimes forget.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
We usually ask them where our computer is cause it was stolen. Then we say that the police need to know where it is so they can go pick it up. Usually they hang up rather quickly after that.
What a clever answer!!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:26 PM

I got one tonight from "Charlie" with a very pronounced accent. He hung up on me when I told him No I will not turn on my computer and informed him that he could go to jail for trying to scam people.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:00 PM

If you guys want a good laugh about this subject, go over to YouTube and look for "scamming the scammers". DH and nearly spit popcorn all over one night watching these. The best one we thought was the pretty lady attorney. She was fabulous!
Old 05-30-2016, 04:04 PM

We've had lots of these calls. The first one, I told them my computer was in the shop getting fixed. 2nd time I told them I'd have my computer person fix it....the caller told me only they could fix it....I finally called one of those callers on the carpet.....telling them I knew it was a scam....they hung up really fast.

The IRS callers were finally caught in FL. Several were arrested......how long will that keep them under wraps...anyone's guess.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:14 PM

We have gotten all of the calls but the most memorable was the Microsoft one; after listening to the spiel I very nicely said "no you aren't from the technical department; this is a scam and I'm not going to be a victim." Immediately the person started screaming "M..... F....." repeatedly so I told him -"that was great - glad I got it all on tape for the SEC" and hung up. That ended those calls for at least 6 months...
Old 05-30-2016, 09:40 PM

When my grand daughter was about 8 I would hand her the phone and let her talk to the scammers, they would hang up pretty quick. She could talk your ear off. hahaha
Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 AM

I've never gotten calls about the computer scam or IRS. But they try to trick you: my area code is 817, so u think it might be someone u know. Well finally got tired of calls, picked up next time & it was about my student loans! What a laugh!!! I'm 72 & have never taken out but I told the guy my kids have.... When it is a strange area code, I don't bother.. Usually you can't even understand their English... The "no call list" doesn't work... I like the whistle one...
Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 AM

Yes....and that is even After my phone is on the do-not-call list.

Microsoft is a huge organization. They would not be calling each individual person with a PC if there were "issues".
Hangy uppy time.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:46 AM

I think we have gotten all of the above mentioned calls. The one from "IRS" was particularly funny because we had been dealing with IRS (by mail) over a mistake on our tax return. We owed $30 additional taxes, which we had paid by check. The caller said the police were coming to arrest us and we could stop it by giving him $1,000 right now. I feel like I pay the bill and the phone is for my use and my personal business. I object to anyone using it for mass marketing of products, surveys and scams.