Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to enlarge my Comfort Zone, Anyone Else? >

Trying to enlarge my Comfort Zone, Anyone Else?

Trying to enlarge my Comfort Zone, Anyone Else?

Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 AM

Really lovely pillow. And I can definitely relate to being a teacher (though I'm not one now due to health). They did away with FMLA protection in our district last contract claiming "teacher only work 6 hours a day x 176 days a year, which is under the 1200 hour/year federal requirement to qualify for FMLA protection" & since they've done away with tenure, now if you are sick beyond your allotted sick days, you get a pink slip. I have much more free time & time to enjoy vacations now that I'm in corporate America. I don't know what decent teacher doesn't average 50-60 hours a week, often more, and just because the kids aren't in school doesn't mean we're not working ... but I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Yes, I am definitely trying new things. I am working in miniature with the Calico Gardens applique design. 3" blocks with tiny little petaled flowers and such, each item maybe 1/2", is a definite challenge. I'm also trying to learn to hand quilt. Must say, it's quite difficult! And, I'm always working on adding new FMQ designs to my repertoire. Not always fun in the thick of the learning, but I'm always pleased with the outcome when everything is done.

Hope you can steal enough moments away from your lesson planning, materials creation & continuing ed this summer to actually find time to quilt. I know that was always a challenge for me to be able to set aside my work and do something relaxing & fun, but they say having hobbies makes you a better teacher so I always would try to remember that. Happy quilting!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:11 AM

I'm currently working on some improv. pieces as part of a collaboration with an artist. He started one piece by drawing on fabric, and then I began working on doing some decorative stitching and quilting. He's got it back now along with one that I started by couching some interesting cording down to a piece of packaging material that is either a non-woven synthetic or possibly one of those very tough papers. I'm waiting for him to get those back to me so I can do some more on them. In the meantime I'm learning EQ7.

rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

That is how we grow our skill set - by trying new things and challenging ourselves. Your pillow is beautiful!

I just learned how to do a 4-square (version of OBW) at a retreat using a large day of the dead print. It is very much outside my comfort zone.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
That is how we grow our skill set - by trying new things and challenging ourselves. Your pillow is beautiful!

I just learned how to do a 4-square (version of OBW) at a retreat using a large day of the dead print. It is very much outside my comfort zone.
Mad Quilter, I find it hard to believe anything is outside your comfort zone after seeing your SBS. BTW I loved your Sue.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:13 PM

Nice pillow!

I'm a retired teacher and currently a substitute. I make goals each summer but it seems something happens along the way whether it is helping family members, volunteering, or new projects that I would rather do around the house or through sewing so the goals don't get accomplished.

This year, I counted the days of vacation before the school year starts-87. My goals officially start this Saturday. Of course, I won't start subbing right away in the fall so there should be a few more days.

Goals:

I know how to use the embroidery type stitches on my machine but I would like to learn how to FMQ 3 more designs. I can crosshatch and use my serpentine stitch along with stitch in the ditch so maybe feathers, leaves, etc.

Learn how to use several feet that came with my machine that I have had for 3 years.

Try 3 different types of QAYG. Right now, I am doing a 'flip and stitch' type of QAYG on a flannel baby blanket.

Enjoy your summer!

Connie
Old 06-07-2016, 03:19 PM

I hear ya on the 18 hour days. I just wish I had a few months for recoup. For me it's year round.

Have fun playing! I wish I had more time than weekends!
Old 06-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

LOVE that pillow, what a great idea to do!
Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Yes, I am trying more challenging patterns and colors that I don't usually care for.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:44 PM

I just got home after staying at school until 11:20pm preparing for tomorrow's classes... I agree, summer is the best time to expand your horizons! I just don't have the time or the energy during the school year.

Your pillow is lovely! My summer challenges are to do my first appliqué project, and to practice FMQ (I have 4 quilts basted and ready to go).
Old 06-08-2016, 04:29 AM

Your pillow is gorgeous and the center design really catches your attention, not only with the color change, but the lovely scallops etc.

As stated previously, stretching out of our comfort zone is the only way we can grow. I am a bit of a perfectionist and realize I need to relax a bit more when I FMQ, so I enrolled in a Zentangles class, to not only free up my designs, but to hopefully learn new quilting designs. The first class was so fun, but unfortunately the second was cancelled due to lack of enrollment. Supposedly the instructor has bi weekly classes in her home and has my contact info. In the meantime I bought a couple books/magazines and a white board to practice Zentangle Inspired Art, and some painted wood letters (I found at Hobby Lobby) as a project for the sewing room. It will spell QUILT and hopefully each letter will be full of Zentangles : ) There are lots of coloring books out now, but I want to be able to come up with my own designs to fill a space.

I started a BOM years ago with paper piecing and silk ribbon embroidery. The entire center is pieced like a village square (done) and then 12 PP houses travel the perimeter & the embroidery completes the details. I got two houses done, but didn't like the way my ribbon embroidery was coming out, so put it away. Time to dig it out and finish it. I WILL conquer this, or bust LOL I also have tons of precuts, but don't use them very often, so want to start on that.