Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to get started with embroidery....and getting very overwhelmed >

Trying to get started with embroidery....and getting very overwhelmed

Trying to get started with embroidery....and getting very overwhelmed

Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=Cari-in-Oly;7604150]Machine embroidery is a whole other animal.
Had to chuckle at your post. You are so correct. It is another expensive hobby. I've seen some beautiful quilts done with machine embroidery and there are quilting designs now which I plan to try. There are applique with machine embroider. Most any fabric can be used. If taking a machine to a class you also have to pack the embroidery unit and some of them are large. I have done cross stitch and Brazilian embroidery but not just hand embroidery. Never felt stitches were nice but then I didn't practice at it.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 AM

Here is a nice site for hand embroidery:

http://rosaliewakefield-millefiori.b...ld-Millefiori)
Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Start on something simple, like a kitchen towel. That way if you decide that you really don't like doing it, you won't have too much invested in supplies. I think the first thing I did was monograming napkins. I don't know what made me want to do that is beyond me. They were fantastic and easy to do, but I love doing so many other kinds of sewing that I really didn't want to do hand embroidery. As I got older, I got a machine that does embroidery and love doing that even if the initial investment was a lot. So I started monograming napkins and sold them to pay for all the thread I needed.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 AM

An embroidery site you do not want to miss is: http://www.needlenthread.com

She has tutorials upon tutorials and all very easy to follow.

Have fun!
Old 07-18-2016, 03:50 PM

There is no reason you should start with hand embroidering unless you just want to. I played at embroidering for years then I bought an embroidery machine and have done more in the last 2 years than I have in the last ???? years. I encourage you if you have a local store with embroidery machines get a demonstration.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 PM

Wow. I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of you all! I've been driving all day today and came home to find a wealth of knowledge. I think the place to start--as others have suggested is exploring all the links and book you've recommended and then to just start with some redwork panels. I am curious about embroidery machines, but might just give myself an education first. I love the idea of getting a small book and just throwing in my bag.

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice and encouragement! Seems like I'm on my way to another addicting hobby (so much for that job...)
Old 07-19-2016, 04:04 AM

My advice would be to start simple - simple patterns and simple stitches and work up from that. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:14 AM

The way I learned to embroider was Mom had my sister and I learn on pillowcases and dish towels. You can get the iron on transfers at Walmart. They have "how to" books there as well. Most of my embroidery is done on my Babylock machine now though. I seem to have lost patience along the way. haha
Old 07-19-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma View Post
The way I learned to embroider was Mom had my sister and I learn on pillowcases and dish towels. You can get the iron on transfers at Walmart. They have "how to" books there as well. Most of my embroidery is done on my Babylock machine now though. I seem to have lost patience along the way. haha
Do the iron-ons wash out now-a-days?? I know in ancient history, they didn't. One of the reasons I have avoided them but do like some of the designs. I am a sucker for old fashioned embroidered pillow cases!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Do the iron-ons wash out now-a-days?? I know in ancient history, they didn't. One of the reasons I have avoided them but do like some of the designs. I am a sucker for old fashioned embroidered pillow cases!
I think one could trace a design with pencil on to fabric if one wanted to avoid using the iron on transfers. A bit of a bother, but it could be done.