Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another tv series gone weird? >

Another tv series gone weird?

Another tv series gone weird?

Old 07-22-2016, 03:33 AM

I still like Major Crimes and enjoy the comic relief of the detectives. Never liked Bones and just decided the other night that Rizzoli and Isles just isn't worth my time. I think USA has some good shows. I love Suits and always enjoyed Royal Pains although it is finishing up now. Speaking of weird, I watched a little bit of a new show "Preacher" last week and turned it off after about 20 minutes ... oh, no, don't think I want to watch that one. Hawaii and Blue Bloods are my Friday night faves. I always loved So You Think You Can Dance but this year they've changed it to feature kids and I elected to read a book instead.
For the returning fall shows, I love Madam Secretary. I think it is well cast and acted and I appreciate the healthy attitude of the central family.
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I like to watch and have to agree there isn't much out there.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Started watching ZOO when it started-different plot....and curious because author is usually a mystery writer....first few episodes were interesting....then it became more Steven King-ish....watched the episode the other nite....last time I will waste an hour of my life......oh how I yearn for some really good story lines....
anyone here really liking any series? The Last Ship is my last hope!
You're right. This weeks episode was just weird - the scene with the snake and then writing Chloe out. I had heard that Patterson had some control over what happens with the show...
Old 07-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Anymore I get so bored with tv. Last night we watched and have been watching, the Spartan games and it had it's finale. DH looks at me and says ok now what do we watch on a Thursday night we haven't seen before. We both refuse to watch the reality shows. Finally on Sundays after America's Funniest Videos (which is starting to get on the nerves) we watch Steve Harvey on Family Feud. you can't help but laugh at some of the answers. Then Food Network Star challenge. we have both resorted to checking out You Tube. I usually have some needle work I'm working on at the same time.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Discovery, History, and National Geo channels have many great programs. I was surprised the Weather Channel has shows too. I like the nature reality shows with people making a living working in nature and all they have to do.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 AM

Decent TV shows are hard to find! osewme suggested Foyles War, it's wonderful, you can find it on NetFlix.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:30 PM

We seriously dislike "Reality TV" (although I do miss Clinton and Stacy on 'What not to Wear" - my guilty pleasure. ) In honor of the political summer season we are binge watching "The West Wing," Aaron Sorkin and crew write so much better than any politician cluttering up the news. So we start after Jeopardy and get 2 or 3 episodes in before bed.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:53 PM

I turn on NCIS, CSI and Law & Order re-runs to long arm to--helps me keep some track of time. Besides sports, we DVR Major Crimes, Elementary, and several PBS--Father TEd, Call the MidWife, Mercy Street. And we'll start back up with Blacklist again although it had a few weird twists but seems to have gotten back on track before the season ended.
We also are watching Hell On Wheels but it ends for good in a couple of weeks. We've also enjoyed Modern Family and also Life in Pieces for sitcoms. My husband also DVR's some of the "weirder" ones for his own viewing--Ray Donovan (I worked with dysfunctional families for years--don't need any more!), Walking Dead, Walking Dead 2(whatever the actual name is)and Preacher--REALLY weird!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Only thing I can say is one horrendous amount of money spent of stuff that nobody wants to watch. Seems like if people do find one that is interesting and not nauseating it is cancelled or just plain gone. I pay an awful price for Direct and have one awful time trying to fine one thing that is of interest to me, mostly garbage. Of course, I am on the lowest page of goodies for sale, but I am darned if I want to spend more and be even more disappointed.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:59 AM

I rent a place that has cable included in the rent (Xfinity with On Demand). I have no idea what they pay for it but I wouldn't pay more than about $2 a month. Many nights I just go to bed early and read.

I just found they have music channels up in the 400's so I put one of them on sometimes. I have never understood people who keep TV on "for the noise." I would much rather have quiet.

The DVD player here does not work so I have set up my laptop so that I can swing it around and watch a DVD on it while sitting on the sofa quilting. Just got a couple from the library.

I liked "Alone" but that is over now. Also Hotel Hell and Hotel Impossible, and Impractical Jokers. No interest in sci-fi or zombies.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have a DVR and love it. I DVR all sorts of things so I always have something I want to watch on my TV in the sewing room. I kind of liked Houdini and Doyle. I hope they bring it back. Not anything stupendous but a good watch. Some of my PBS favs that are currently on are Death in Paradise, Miss Fisher Mysteries and Wallander. I also like the Bones and Rizzoli and Isles shows. I find a lot on TNT that I like and some on regular channels. I've also gotten hooked on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. They have a lot of good mysteries, current and past.
Both Bones ^ Rizzoli & Isles are going into the fall with this being their final season