Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing ? >

Pressing ?

Pressing ?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:57 PM

Also in Alaska. Maybe it is your seam measurement that isn't true. I press most of my seams open and not to the side. If to the side I will press to the dark from the underside of the block and I check the top to make sure there aren't any creases. Sometimes I spritz with water before pressing. I use the ruler and line up with the diagonal --corner to corner. I have the Steady Betty but forget to use it.
Originally Posted by Joan in AK View Post
My blocks rarely come out to what the pattern says. They are not always square and maybe an 1/8" off at least. Do others have this problem? I wish sometimes I could look at the quilts designers put on their patterns and see if this is the case for them even though the pattern says a block should be a certain size. I think one of my big problems is pressing. I am losing measurement because my blocks aren't pressed crisp and flat. Any tips for getting a better press?
Thank you
Old 07-23-2016, 06:19 PM
mac

Re: Clapper

Now I know what it is called. That is what I saw Nancy use in her program about ironing seams to set them. I never knew what it was and just thought it was a piece of wood. $17.00 (USD) sounds a bit expensive. I realize that it is probably a special type of wood, but that still seems extreme. I wonder if you could get a piece of hard, unfinished, no seams type of wood like Oak and do the same thing for less money. You could sand it down really well and just put an old drawer pull for a handle. ??? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the tips. Marlene someone earlier in the thread mentioned spritzing the seams. That is one tip I am going to try.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:17 PM

mac, I found 1 of these at a yard sale or the thrift store. Your idea sounds like it would work great. If I hadn't found 1 I did, I would try this. Maybe I will anyway, thanks.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:49 AM

Even the professionals get it wrong sometimes. It really isn't worth getting stressed about, annoying maybe, but there are various way of "fudging", which I have to do in every quilt I make. I starch, pin, baste and still there is always something that gets skewed or the seams do not come out not a perfect 1/4". Remember it is meant to be a pleasure not a pain.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:07 PM

The best help I ever got for pressing while quilting was to set the seams while in the sewing position, then open and press flat. I don't lose little bits of my blocks if I do this. My measurements are much better this way. Give it a shot?