Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Scrappy Hunter Star Block Swap >

Scrappy Hunter Star Block Swap

Scrappy Hunter Star Block Swap

Old 07-31-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 View Post
Jane I sent you a PM. Please sign me up made a block and came out the correct size and looks good. I will keep this one for me since it was the first one I have made. I am in "Pull-out-of-the-bag scrappy" is great for me too ..

Jane is the print on the light (background squares) to large?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554658[/ATTACH]
jclingenrey....you asked what we think.....This is how I did mine. I grabbagged the dark fabric, then "matched" a light like frustratedquilter40. The darks dont go together (all over the place) but the blocks, individually, look good. If no cute match, I just used a white solid.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Irene C. View Post
Ok ladies I'm back, been digging in a couple of buckets the past few hours and cutting.....15 is what I got cut.
Here is what I've decided to do/,did....where I had enough fabric I cut an extra block and put them in a big Ziploc baggie. These I will use for a couple of pillows or shams, I also cut as many 3 inch squares as I could of any leftover bits.......but why you ask......prairie points. Yes I'm crazy, but the more I cut the more I realized I could really make a dent on my scrap buckets and use a lot of it up.
One more thing I did was cut a little piece of every fabric I used and used another baggie, these are for me to keep track of the fabric I've used so I don't duplicate any fabrics on the following months. I am going to try and make 36 blocks every month and there is no way I will remember all the fabric....especially if I used all of the scrap.
Big challenge, lots of work for me, I'm going to love it when I am done. Wish me luck luck.
I took a photo of my fabrics, but a baggy is a good idea.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 AM

Jane Quilter a photo is a good idea as well. I might take a photo of the finished block and add them to a folder just for this swap.
The 3 inch prairie points I am cutting are either for the binding which I've done before or add to a boarder which I've not done before.
Have a great day ladies, 100 degree plus this week.....hot! More fabric cutting and trying to keep cool.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:41 AM

The Magic 8 method works beautifully for this! I have a set of six blocks completed and I will post a picture hopefully tomorrow. The scrappiness is really appealing... usually I am not a fan of uber-scrappy, but with this pattern it compliments nicely. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with
Old 08-01-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
Quick and easy method to make 8 HST -- Magic 8 --- start with 7" of your 2 fabrics.... here's a link to help

http://quilting.about.com/od/piecing...ngle-Units.htm

Wham, you'll have your 8 HST in a few minutes and the rest will be a breeze.

Have fun with this swap...can't do it for now but maybe another month I can...

Thanks, Lisa. Great resource. I've found I can do the same thing with 6" squares to get my 8 HST's.

Please do whatever works for you as long as your HST's are 2 1/2" unfinished.

I'm working on my blocks as we speak - - - -
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM

so we make 6 like you have shown for the swap not 4 units per each 6 to make 6 total blocks that are alike? I'm confused whether it means just 6 units of the blocks or total blocks!
Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 PM

so we make 6 like you have shown for the swap not 4 units per each 6 to make 6 total blocks that are alike? I'm confused whether it means just 6 units of the blocks or total blocks!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rosemary Attaway View Post

Each set is 6 different Hunter Star blocks. Yes, it takes 4 blocks to make a single star however, if you choose to make 6 sets of 6 you would have 9 complete star blocks.

You may choose how many sets of 6 you'd like to make - as many as 6 sets of 6 blocks (36 blocks).

Any other questions, please let me know.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 AM

OK. Here's who I have. Please let me know if I missed anyone - - -

Glasqlts
NWBusyMom
QuilterMomma
Jane Quilter
frustratedquilter40 (6 sets)
DMLNGBRK121
Jclinganrey
Wholeheart Mom (1 set)
NanaKathy55 (6 sets)
Irene C. (6 sets)
Jannie (2 sets)

This is so exciting! Gonna be great!!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
jclingenrey....you asked what we think.....This is how I did mine. I grabbagged the dark fabric, then "matched" a light like frustratedquilter40. The darks dont go together (all over the place) but the blocks, individually, look good. If no cute match, I just used a white solid.

As long as it's the same dark fabric & same light fabric per block then you're good to go!

As I go through my stash, I'll cut a 6" square (for the HST's) and a 4 1/2" square of one fabric and do the same for the contrasting fabric then pair them up.

I have 2 more to make then I'll post pictures. Remember - - - we love pictures!!